WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:31 am 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:01 am
Posts: 11338
Location: Hamilton, MS
I've got one in the backyard about 20 years old. Wife loves it, but to me the thing is a pain in the neck. But before I cut it down I decided to research it. I did some serious pruning of it yesterday, and was surprised at how hard the wood is (about the same as walnut) and the very dark brown/reddish color of the heartwood. I cut some big diameter peripheral growth (about 8" x 3') which I debarked and am drying for some possibly usable lumber for small projects.

Some pics of typical projects by other people:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/ ... redbud.htm

But the other thing I discovered is it's uses as a medicine, so I won't be cutting the whole thing down. Here's the link:

http://www.naturalmedicinalherbs.net/he ... redbud.php

A couple pics of the tree, post pruning. Still some more to do, and clean up the rest of the mess. :wink:

Image

Image

_________________
I bring to life, I bring to death:
The spirit does but mean the breath:
I know no more. (Tennyson, In Memoriam)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:38 pm 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 1286
Location: Kerrville, Texas USA
Here in central Texas, the Redbud is one of the prettiest trees we
have with nice green growth ane the beautiful dark pink/red blooms/flowers
in the spring.
I did not know of the medicine angle but it is interesting.

Thanks, Gene

Duan

_________________
Duan Packard
Kerrville, Texas

dum vivimus, vivamus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:44 pm 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 1286
Location: Kerrville, Texas USA
Further on my post.

Here we have both the multi-trunk variety you have and
also the single trunk.
I think they are both great additions to the woods with
a large multi-trunk (as you have) being the prettiest.

Thanks
Duan

_________________
Duan Packard
Kerrville, Texas

dum vivimus, vivamus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:13 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 1062
Location: Cypress, TX
Probably won't be eating red bud flowers. Just sayin'. :thumbdown:
Zulu

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:26 pm 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:01 am
Posts: 11338
Location: Hamilton, MS
Zulu wrote:
Probably won't be eating red bud flowers. Just sayin'. :thumbdown:
Zulu


All kinds of goodies can be made from the flowers. Including wine, tea, jelly, etc. And the young seed pods are edible also. Similar to snow peas. Here's one recipe for stir fry with wild turkey (the bird, not the whiskey). :)

https://www.realtree.com/timber-2-table ... -asparagus

_________________
I bring to life, I bring to death:
The spirit does but mean the breath:
I know no more. (Tennyson, In Memoriam)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:43 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:55 pm
Posts: 2309
Location: ridley park, PA
When my daughter was in school in woodstock VA, we drove a portion of route 81 that had the most gorgeous red bud trees along the route. One of the prettiest trees in bloom.

_________________
"To all those who work come moments of beauty unseen by the rest of the world." Norman Maclean


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:33 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 1062
Location: Cypress, TX
Gene wrote:
Zulu wrote:
Probably won't be eating red bud flowers. Just sayin'. :thumbdown:
Zulu


All kinds of goodies can be made from the flowers. Including wine, tea, jelly, etc. And the young seed pods are edible also. Similar to snow peas. Here's one recipe for stir fry with wild turkey (the bird, not the whiskey). :)

https://www.realtree.com/timber-2-table ... -asparagus



Gene,
Have you been eating red bud seeds again?
Zulu

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:48 am 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:01 am
Posts: 11338
Location: Hamilton, MS
Zulu wrote:
Gene wrote:
Zulu wrote:
Probably won't be eating red bud flowers. Just sayin'. :thumbdown:
Zulu


All kinds of goodies can be made from the flowers. Including wine, tea, jelly, etc. And the young seed pods are edible also. Similar to snow peas. Here's one recipe for stir fry with wild turkey (the bird, not the whiskey). :)

https://www.realtree.com/timber-2-table ... -asparagus



Gene,
Have you been eating red bud seeds again?
Zulu


I just found out about all this in the last few days, so no. But I'll probably try them out next spring. :)

_________________
I bring to life, I bring to death:
The spirit does but mean the breath:
I know no more. (Tennyson, In Memoriam)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group