WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Wed May 25, 2022 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:54 am 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 1375
Location: Vacaville CA. USA
I just completed these beautiful end grain cutting boards. I absolutely love this overlapping squares pattern and have been wanting to build one since seeing for the first time about 6 months ago. Woods used are maple, cherry, purpleheart and wenge.
Image

Image

Image

_________________
my projects

That's not a goof...It's a design feature.
Dewayne


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:43 am 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 1097
Location: Cypress, TX
Dewayne,
That thing is awesome! You must have a whole lot of time in one of those.
Zulu

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:56 pm 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 1375
Location: Vacaville CA. USA
Zulu wrote:
Dewayne,
That thing is awesome! You must have a whole lot of time in one of those.
Zulu

Thanks, I love this pattern. I spent the better pat of 5 days on the two. Gluing up the board is the biggest challenge

_________________
my projects

That's not a goof...It's a design feature.
Dewayne


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:07 am 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 1949
Location: Big Prairie Ohio USA
Amazing amount of planning and work for a simple use object. You truely are an artist to make something as simple as a cutting board in to a work of art. I just wonder if anyone will actually use it as a cutting board.While I have made some nice end grain cutting boards (nothing equal to yours.) The cutting board My wife and I both use is a simple piece of hard curly maple that I saved when making a counter top corner.My wife won't even use the maple cutting board my one son made as a 4-H project. She considers it as a serving board for bread when we have guests over.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:46 pm 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 1375
Location: Vacaville CA. USA
Donald Weimer wrote:
Amazing amount of planning and work for a simple use object. You truely are an artist to make something as simple as a cutting board in to a work of art. I just wonder if anyone will actually use it as a cutting board.While I have made some nice end grain cutting boards (nothing equal to yours.) The cutting board My wife and I both use is a simple piece of hard curly maple that I saved when making a counter top corner.My wife won't even use the maple cutting board my one son made as a 4-H project. She considers it as a serving board for bread when we have guests over.


Thanks, It’s all about the challenge and wow factor with these boards. They are gifts to my brothers and I have made display stands for them if they would like to use them.

_________________
my projects

That's not a goof...It's a design feature.
Dewayne


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:04 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 1097
Location: Cypress, TX
Dewayne,
I like the idea of stands for the cutting boards. I think they are artwork and need to be displayed as such.
I carve cutting boards out of granite and put wooden feet on them. I also make stands so they can be displayed vertically.
I would like to see pictures of your stands.
Here are some pictures of mine. They just lift out of the stands.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:30 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 1949
Location: Big Prairie Ohio USA
Zulu, that is an origonal shape for a cutting board, I wonder where you got the pattern from.Oh I remember,Jim Bowie had a knife his brother Rizen made and I think he lost it at a place called the Alamo.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:50 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 1097
Location: Cypress, TX
Donald Weimer wrote:
Zulu, that is an origonal shape for a cutting board, I wonder where you got the pattern from.Oh I remember,Jim Bowie had a knife his brother Rizen made and I think he lost it at a place called the Alamo.



:-D
I have a pattern I made that I trace on the granite with a marker. I then cut everything freehand with an angle grinder and a 4.5" diamond blade.
I have made about 60 of these things.
They can be seen here.

https://jmelledge.com/TexasPieces.html

I still want to see Dewayne's stands that he makes. His cutting boards are very cool! Certainly works of art.
Zulu

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:10 am 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 12:01 am
Posts: 286
Location: Albuquerque, NM USA
Zulu wrote:
Dewayne,
I like the idea of stands for the cutting boards. I think they are artwork and need to be displayed as such.
I carve cutting boards out of granite and put wooden feet on them. I also make stands so they can be displayed vertically.
I would like to see pictures of your stands.
Here are some pictures of mine. They just lift out of the stands.


The best state for me to make any "Cutting Boards" of a like, would be Wyoming or Colorado. :-)
...lew...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:52 am 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 1375
Location: Vacaville CA. USA
Zulu wrote:
Dewayne,
I like the idea of stands for the cutting boards. I think they are artwork and need to be displayed as such.
I carve cutting boards out of granite and put wooden feet on them. I also make stands so they can be displayed vertically.
I would like to see pictures of your stands.
Here are some pictures of mine. They just lift out of the stands.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Those are interesting. Here are the stands I made for my boards. I also made a cheese board. All from the cutting board project scraps.
Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
my projects

That's not a goof...It's a design feature.
Dewayne


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:16 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 1097
Location: Cypress, TX
Dewayne,
Your stands are very cool. What a great present to give someone.
You really must have a whole lot of time in them.
Do you smooth the end grain tops with a big drum sander? I have never had luck using a planer on end grain.
Zulu

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:44 am 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 1375
Location: Vacaville CA. USA
Zulu wrote:
Dewayne,
Your stands are very cool. What a great present to give someone.
You really must have a whole lot of time in them.
Do you smooth the end grain tops with a big drum sander? I have never had luck using a planer on end grain.
Zulu

Yes I do use a drum sander. I have run end grain boards threw the plainer using the proper precautions but it's risky. Fresh sharp knives and I glue on a sacrificial piece on each end of the board that is trimmed off when plaining is complete. I first get the board as level as I can with a #80 cabinet scraper and or belt sander. O even run it through the drum sander a few times. The problem I have with the sander is it tends to leave burn marks as you get to the finer grits and the coarse grits leave deep grooves that take forever to sand out with my ROS. I have successfully run more than 15 boards threw my plainer without a problem using the sacrificial strip method.
Image

_________________
my projects

That's not a goof...It's a design feature.
Dewayne


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:10 pm 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2001 12:01 am
Posts: 12215
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Dewayne and Zulu! All beautiful stuff! I could never do anything even close to that!

_________________
Uncle Fester WWAMDAUX#3
La Plata, Maryland
Does Anyone Have A Comb?
Home Of A Beautiful DJ 20
I Say.... BUY DELTA!!
10,000 posts--Easter Sunday, 2008--7:43pm


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:25 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:55 pm
Posts: 2335
Location: ridley park, PA
Dewyne and Zulu, You guys are awesome artists and craftsmen. Thanks for sharing.

Zulu, PA has a better shape for charcuterie than TX! :evil: :D Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Ron

_________________
"To all those who work come moments of beauty unseen by the rest of the world." Norman Maclean


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:14 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:51 pm
Posts: 592
wow that nice Dwyane very good job


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:24 am 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 1375
Location: Vacaville CA. USA
RonTeti wrote:
wow that nice Dwyane very good job
Thanks Ron

_________________
my projects

That's not a goof...It's a design feature.
Dewayne


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group