WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:21 am 
Veteran

Well guys,I have been planning on moving out of state for quie a while. Been looking at different states to move to. I was actually focused on Texas and the PNW .

But thought we had to go through the numbers checking other places, Hermiston Oregon was high on my list after checking it out.

So we went to Az to vist some good friends and see my brother.
Mike my buddy knew I was checking out the area so he hooked us up with a realtor.

I was up front with him and told him I was kicking the tires not ready to buy. he sent us some listings of homes I selected the ones I wanted to see. That day he texted me with a address of a home to meet him at.

So The wife, my brother and me went a met him there. It was new construction. My wife saw it ad fell in love with it. He said he had other others that were being built if we wanted to go see tim. Sure I said.

Well one was on a dead end street that butted up to state land, no one woud be able to buit there. These are 1 acre fenced in lots.

Well guess what.

Im moving to Az now.

With the full acre as a blank slate, I got mommas go ahead to build a new shop. My current shop is in a 1950s garage measurings out to 20 x 20. Though I can build everything I want, it is cramped. I get tired of bumping into things clothes getting hung up on things etc.

Ive been looking at prefabbed garages. Found one though a bit pricey is very well built its a 24 X 36 garage. Includes the garage door ad side door, Ill add a window or 2.

Wow this is amazing to me. Ill still have to run power out to the building, I can wire it myself, put a A/C unit in (it is Arizona after all ) and insulate.

I already got some ideas to start a small pt business to help pay for the up grades Il need once I get rolling.

The stress of selling a home in one state and moving to another one (which i know little about) is incredible. I think as one gets older stress is harder to deal with.

Anyway thats what going on......

Last edited by RonTeti on Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Moving to Az
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:00 am 
Veteran

Hey, Ron, you're singing to the choir....I moved last February from San Diego to the country southwest of Austin, TX. BUT the stress dissipated as my (bigger) shop came together and as I learned to appreciate the deer gazing in the yard and the birds chirping. I cannot tell you how glad I am to have moved....and yes, at 73 years old, moving takes a bit more courage than it did when I was 30...but I feel stronger having done it.
Good Luck...KEEP US POSTED and we like pics!!

Don

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:06 pm 
Veteran

Congrats Ron, Sounds like a dream move. What part of AZ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:37 pm 
Veteran

But they do not have snow, ice, cold, ... no mosquitoes ...
Does not sound good to me.

ENJOY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:58 pm 
Veteran

well got most of our house packed, here are my tools waiting to be loaded into my nephews trailer. Don't trust movers with tools

Attachments:
IMG_3976.jpg
IMG_3976.jpg [ 246.19 KiB | Viewed 49794 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:04 pm 
Veteran

Ron,

how is the new digs?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:50 pm 
Veteran

believe it or not weve been homeless for about 2 weeks, should be signing escrow docs on Monday so I can call te movers ad get moved in, then get my tools which are waiting for me , but heres a photo of the view from the front of my house

Attachments:
File comment: another photo of the front of te house
IMG_4014.jpg
IMG_4014.jpg [ 314.96 KiB | Viewed 49524 times ]
File comment: heres the front of the house still needs the landscaping done
IMG_4016.jpg
IMG_4016.jpg [ 245.09 KiB | Viewed 49524 times ]
IMG_4008.jpg
IMG_4008.jpg [ 191.61 KiB | Viewed 49524 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:44 pm 
Veteran

Love the desert, look ssweet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:59 pm 
Veteran

Hey Ron, the Wood Whisperer used to be a member here when he first got interested in woodworking....very ambitious young man....moved to Arizona, quit our forum and moved on to stardom in teaching woodworking online. His new Arizona home was in the desert...looked much like your place! Anyways....if you do follow that path and 'get famous'....I hope you don't quit the forum!!
That looks like a great place to practice our craft....looking forward to seeing your first project!!

Don

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:34 pm 
Veteran

Spent 4 days in San Diego and then to Phoenix last week (Right before corona hit) AZ is beautiful, no doubt about that! Good Luck RT!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:29 am 
AdminDude

wow...................... envy set in. with those 3 pics of the place.

Use your shop to landscape the front yard.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/467666072/cactus-svg-cactus-clipart-cactus?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=cactus+silhouette&ref=sr_gallery-1-5

really enjoy your new home and adventure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:15 am 
Veteran

well Don Im already notorious does that count :>)

just got in the house last Thurs so were busy unpacking our stuff, way to much stuff. Good thing this will be my last move.

Had the contractor out whose gonna build the shop to do a site survey. I may have to go to a bit smaller shop due to cost, but it will still be bigger than my 20X20 garage I used for the last 21 years. Ill add a larger concrete slab in front and Ill build a cover for shade to extend the shop when the weathers nice to make up for my shop being smaller.

Going later this week back to Calif to pick up the trailer with my tools. Ill set up in the garage until the shop gets sorted.

Got a lot of projects to do, even as small as hanging a TV mount cant do it w/o m tools also got , laundry room cabinets, garage cabinets (wil be sprayed to match kitchen cabinets) , lots and lots of landscaping to do.

Ill start posting build photos when i get going. I cant wait to get my tools, sort of feel lost with out them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:34 pm 
Veteran

well got my tools and set them up in the garage so now I can start on the honny dos and their are a lot of them

Attachments:
IMG_4062.jpg
IMG_4062.jpg [ 310.06 KiB | Viewed 49099 times ]
IMG_4059.jpg
IMG_4059.jpg [ 198.97 KiB | Viewed 49099 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:20 pm 
Veteran

We should be seeing pictures by now, lots of sawdust.

NPDH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:07 am 
Veteran

Just building cabinets for te laundry room right now.I did buy a edge bander for the occasion 8) .

Ill post some before and after when I finish

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:06 pm 
Veteran

Been a while since I posted a update.

Today the county came out surveyed the area where the shop is going to be built took some photos for the permits.

So its progressing.

I got a feeling that hos will be one of those things that drag and drag and drag but once it starts going bam itsll be done fast. (fingers crossed)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:34 pm 
Veteran

Prints approved and stamped and Permits issued, wont be long now

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:13 pm 
Veteran

GOOD Luck, Ron! I just spent a year gettig my shop moved and re-shaped up....and I ain't done yet!! After spending 22 years in my old (very small) shop...spreading out has been challenging. Looks like the festools you have will be a joy to make stations for. Thanks for any pics!

Don

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:16 pm 
Veteran

Thanks Don, I definately will be posting pics. Got a list going of ideas and things I want and adding to every day :-D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:19 pm 
Veteran

Well update: Signed the contract for the shop should start digging for the foundation by the end of the week

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next