WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:36 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 961
Location: Cypress, TX
Don2Laughs wrote:
That is some awesome detail. That screw is going to be moving one heavy piece! Am I very far off in guessing that about 3" of thread will be engaged when this is in place?
THANKS so much for the posts!

Don



Don,
Look at these pictures.

The nut you see welded to the round plate fits into the hole in the transom piece.
The nut is about 1.5" thick. The threaded Acme rod is 1.5" diameter.

Zulu

Image

Image

Image

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:16 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:01 am
Posts: 2013
Location: Mountain City, Texas
Thanks...that clears up my :?: about wiggle room. With that much weight bouncing around, the threads surely have to be imbedded in something solid.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:41 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 961
Location: Cypress, TX
Finally, the wheels!!
I am pleased with them except for one thing.
My axle is 2.00". The pipe bushing in the hub of the wheel has an I.D. of 1.98" to 1.99".
That basically is bad news.

The axle won't fit. :mad:

I think I will have to have the ends of the axle (about 19") turned down on a lathe enough to fit the hubs.

Right when I'm ready to finish this thing.
I'm not very happy about it.
I tried polishing the axle ends with a 36 grit sanding disc but the axle is 4130 steel and it didn't make any difference.

Mad Zulu (what could be worse than a mad Zulu?)

Image

Image

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:55 pm 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:01 am
Posts: 11320
Location: Hamilton, MS
Zulu wrote:
Finally, the wheels!!
I am pleased with them except for one thing.
My axle is 2.00". The pipe bushing in the hub of the wheel has an I.D. of 1.98" to 1.99".
That basically is bad news.

The axle won't fit. :mad:

I think I will have to have the ends of the axle (about 19") turned down on a lathe enough to fit the hubs.

Right when I'm ready to finish this thing.
I'm not very happy about it.
I tried polishing the axle ends with a 36 grit sanding disc but the axle is 4130 steel and it didn't make any difference.

Mad Zulu (what could be worse than a mad Zulu?)

Image

Image


Ohhhh. Wheels!! Play this in your truck on the delivery run. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vkBAqWS-Jw

_________________
I bring to life, I bring to death:
The spirit does but mean the breath:
I know no more. (Tennyson, In Memoriam)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:45 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 961
Location: Cypress, TX
Just found out that 2.5 million people visit the Alamo per year.
In 10 years, over 25 million people will have taken their picture in front of this thing.
:shock: :shock:

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:44 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:01 am
Posts: 2013
Location: Mountain City, Texas
Well.....Let's see your signature! Have you got a special ZULU emblem?? People outta know where it came from!


Don


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:04 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 961
Location: Cypress, TX
Don,

I have a small (3.5" X 1.5") engraved brass tag that my lovely assistant tarnished to remove the shine.
It says;

Made by
Michael & Cheryl Elledge
Cypress, Texas 2019

I will place it in a nondescript place on the rear of the axle housing with two screws.
I want it very low key because I don't want them to take it off. But I can't control that.

Zulu

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:43 am 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:01 am
Posts: 2013
Location: Mountain City, Texas
Why not mortise it in place making it a little more 'permanent' like the brass used on campaign furniture? Even historians a hundred years from now would appreciate knowing who the builder was.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:48 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 961
Location: Cypress, TX
Don2Laughs wrote:
Why not mortise it in place making it a little more 'permanent' like the brass used on campaign furniture? Even historians a hundred years from now would appreciate knowing who the builder was.



Don,
Good idea, I'll think about it.
Not sure.
Zulu

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:54 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 961
Location: Cypress, TX
I had to fix the axle to hub issue.
I first took the axle to the machine shop that sold it to me.
I said I needed 50 thousands of an inch taken off each end for 19".

They sat on it for three days and told me they needed 3 more days to do it and that it would cost me $500.
I said no.
My friend made a tool that I could use to open the hub bushing.
It goes in a drill.
I used 50 grit paper.

It took a long time. :-?

I currently have both axle bushings opened to about 2.038". I think it could use a little more but I have 6 hours in it today and my shoulder hurts.
I tested it with a 2" bar and it slips in easily. But needs a little more.
I'll try it tomorrow.

Zulu

Image

Image

Image

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:46 pm 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:01 am
Posts: 11320
Location: Hamilton, MS
Zulu wrote:
I had to fix the axle to hub issue.
I first took the axle to the machine shop that sold it to me.
I said I needed 50 thousands of an inch taken off each end for 19".

They sat on it for three days and told me they needed 3 more days to do it and that it would cost me $500.
I said no.
My friend made a tool that I could use to open the hub bushing.
It goes in a drill.
I used 50 grit paper.

It took a long time. :-?

I currently have both axle bushings opened to about 2.038". I think it could use a little more but I have 6 hours in it today and my shoulder hurts.
I tested it with a 2" bar and it slips in easily. But needs a little more.
I'll try it tomorrow.

Zulu

Image

Image

Image


I don't mean to second guess you, but I'd be concerned about getting the bore egg shaped with that setup, unless you have some kind of support for the shaft to keep it centered in the bushing. Engine cylinder hones are spring loaded to prevent exactly that.

_________________
I bring to life, I bring to death:
The spirit does but mean the breath:
I know no more. (Tennyson, In Memoriam)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:09 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 961
Location: Cypress, TX
Gene,
I was worried about an egg shape also. I consistently rotated the wheel while using it.
I used 50 grit paper and it took me 6 hours.
An engine cylinder hone would have taken me the rest of my life. :shock:
Zulu

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:04 am 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:01 am
Posts: 2013
Location: Mountain City, Texas
Any way to mount the bushing in the lathe? The sandpaper on drill might work faster. Dang! just one helluva frustration after so much fine work. Sure hoping it comes together shortly without more stress!

Good luck, Zulu.

Don


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:01 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 961
Location: Cypress, TX
Don2Laughs wrote:
Any way to mount the bushing in the lathe? The sandpaper on drill might work faster. Dang! just one helluva frustration after so much fine work. Sure hoping it comes together shortly without more stress!

Good luck, Zulu.

Don



Don,
The bushing is epoxied into the hub. No way it's going in the lathe.
Zulu

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:03 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 961
Location: Cypress, TX
Just for fun.
My 89 year old Mom dug this out of her bag of tricks.

At the Alamo.
October 1965.
I had just turned 13.
I'm the tall kid on the right with my four Brothers and my Folks.

That's a lot of Zulus!!!

Image

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:07 am 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:35 pm
Posts: 3620
Location: Hutchinson Ks
I was at the Alamo in 1963. I was an 18 year old, Air Force recruit stationed at Lackland ,AFB at the time ! :)

_________________
Dont badmouth no strangers, they just friends you aint met yet.

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:23 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 961
Location: Cypress, TX
The carriage will be finished totally by tomorrow.
It will weigh close to 1600 lbs.
It is in my carport getting touch up paint by my lovely assistant right now.

I am trying to set up a delivery date of 7/16. I should have confirmation of that by tomorrow.

If I can roll it out, I will get pictures of it in my driveway. I figure the back of the trail weighs close to 300 lbs.
I have to lift that onto a furniture dolly to be able to move it.
I can lift it with my engine hoist.

The trailer I'm hauling it on has a winch.

Of coarse, I'll get plenty of pictures of the barrel installation.

Stay tuned!
Zulu

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:03 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:01 am
Posts: 2013
Location: Mountain City, Texas
:razz: CAN'T WAIT! This thing has kept me checkin in twice a day! Really appreciate what you do


Don


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:34 pm 
Offline
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:01 am
Posts: 4251
Location: Linwood, Ma, USA, The Center of the known universe
I can hardly wait to see it set up at the Alamo. It's going to look great, That will be a proud moment to you, you deserve it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:47 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 961
Location: Cypress, TX
100% finished.
Here they are.

Zulu

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
Zulu's website
http://www.jmelledge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group