WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Finally -
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:23 pm 
Veteran

... found some time to add to the mess in my shop ..

A lady asked me to make her some touch styluses for 'smart' phone touch screens. The short ones are directly from the (Penn State) stylus kits but she wanted longer ones. So it was a matter of cutting some brass tubes to length, fortunately I had ordered a batch of replacement 7mm tubing so it wasn't such a big deal there.

However the length she asked for was more than the travel of my drill press chuck so ended up having to drill them on the lathe making it a slightly longer process. None the less I managed to turn these out (pun intended) in an afternoon. They're really easy and great practice for tool control doing spindle turning.

The little lancets at the top ends have plastic plugs that plug into the phone's headphone jack so the stylus doesn't get misplaced. I think in the end, though, she may be disappointed with the longer length; it seems a bit unwieldy to me.

The darker woods are ipe and walnut. The lighter ones are sycamore - just some stuff I had layin' around the shop.

Attachments:
Styluses.jpg
Styluses.jpg [ 385.82 KiB | Viewed 9058 times ]

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject: Re: Finally -
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:40 pm 
Veteran

Now THAT requires a degree of Finesse' that I doubt I could muster! Fine Job, Dennis!!
You know, Dennis, you are a real master of the lathe and it would be nice to be close enough to visit and gather some tips. I just (last January) bought an old 1950's Craftsman lathe from the original owner....he had put a new motor on it about a year ago but decided to get a new lathe.... the old Craftsman is just right for me...and the price, $100., fits too. I haven't used a lathe since junior high shop class where Mr Leigh turned me loose on one and I obsessed on it for an entire semester :shock: Then, much later, when I built and started my woodworking shop...I was reluctant to set up a lathe because I knew I might obsess again...and I really wanted to master and make some flat work. I'm to the point now where I believe I can use one responsibly....but there is a lot I need to learn...and I'm chipping away...but it would be nice to have someone to watch & ask.
Thank you for posting! Hope all is well at your house! Have a peaceful Memorial Day weekend!
Don

Post subject: Re: Finally -
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:07 pm 
Veteran

Don2Laughs wrote:
Now THAT requires a degree of Finesse' that I doubt I could muster! ....

Thanks for the kind words. Don. But in reality it's not as demanding as it might appear. The trick, if you want to call it that, is using a skew chisel and creating a convex rather than concave grind making it a lot easier to use and control.

Yes, it would be great to gather a bunch of us powder heads together at some point but if you check on the American Association of Woodturners web site (https://www.woodturner.org/) they have a list of all the chapters. Chances are there's one in your area. As a group I've found wood turners being some of the most willing to share tips, tricks and techniques. I'm sure you could find someone to mentor your return to the whirling black hole (grin).

Caution, a woodturning obsession quickly turns into a pit into which you can toss an unbelievable amount of money. :lol:

Cheers - Dennis