WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Moving back home!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:04 am 
Veteran

Moved to San Diego 32 years ago....now I've moved back to Texas and setting up a little bigger shop. After a month and a half back, I'm finally getting settled in, the stress has waned and I am really enjoying being back. I had not realized how my life had been so busy doing stuff for others until recently enjoying the absence of ringing phone & doorbell...and just being able to get up...walk out to the shop and lose myself in a project ALL day without interruption.....almost EVERY day. I am SO grateful for being able to make this move!

Don

Post subject: Re: Moving back home!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:41 am 
Veteran

Don,
Welcome back!
Where in Texas are you?
I'm in Cypress, just Northwest of Houston.
Zulu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:10 am 
Veteran

Hey Zulu...Thanks. I'm in Mountain City, just south of Austin. Yes...I know right where you are. I lived near there in '74 for a brief moment then moved to Wallis and raised my family. BTW...I really appreciate your posts...very inspirational to see a passionate craftsman perform magic!

D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:15 am 
Veteran

Don,
Don't know anything about magic but I really do enjoy what I am doing.
It's different.
My trick is that I don't care how long something takes me to do as long as it turns out how I envision it in my tiny brain. :-?
Zulu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:23 am 
Veteran

Thats great Don. Im looking to move from SoCal . Got my eye on a couple of states Tx, Az and Ore. All I want is a nice shop away from the crowds yet close enough to where If I want to go into a city Its doable amybe a 1 hr drive.

Im very envious of you and you deserve a hearty "You Suck" :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:24 am 
Veteran

Thats great Don. Im looking to move from SoCal . Got my eye on a couple of states Tx, Az and Ore. All I want is a nice shop away from the crowds yet close enough to where If I want to go into a city Its doable maybe a 1 hr drive.

Im very envious of you and you deserve a hearty "You Suck" :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:47 am 
Veteran

Thanks Ron. That is exactly why I moved back. I'm 4 miles from Buda, Tx, 4 miles from Kyle, Tx and 15 miles from the edge of Austin. Don't know if I have quite enough arm to hit my neighbor with a rock, can't hear a highway nor any planes....took me about a week to realize this place is like heaven! I'm gonna try to post some pics of my old and my new shop. Feels like a dream I'm living!

Don

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:54 am 
AdminDude

Smiling big for you. looking forward to the pictures

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:09 am 
Veteran

Let's see here...Big THANK YOU to Larry for the suggested picture posting site!
Looking from house to shop....pool is on left: Image
Image Getting moved in is 'complicated'...gotta prepare space then try this here...that there....no wait..kinda days Image Plus...I'm gonna have to put a pull down attic stair in here! Image
Got the bench up, the plane cab up..backsaw till...whatta mess!! Image Drill station 'getting there' Image . Hadta get these precious babies safe (temporarily) 'til I can do them justice Image . Just unpacking all the boxes & crates is a chore...especially when I KNOW it's probably temporary....it will take at least a year to fit everything where it functions best! Image . Hadta have a new chopping block...this one is hackberry cut down last fall....don't know how it will hold up but had to leave the last one (200 lb oak) in San Diego. Image
ImageClick For Full-Size Image. I gotta admit....I'm LOVIN this. Just starting to dawn on me what a joy to be 'out' of the urban environment....I can run machines anytime! Walk out my back door to beautiful nature with birds singing...squirrels chasing the cat :lol:
And all the time I want to create the shop I want.... Image
ImageClick For Full-Size Image. and have this wonderful lady I've known for 57 years...by my side!! She loves woodworking, too!
It's a humble start on a big dream. We went into Austin for the https://texaswoodworkingfestival.com/wp ... logo-1.png and got acquainted with some fellow woodworkers, resources and area. & bought ome vintage treasures!
More to come
Don

Last edited by Don2Laughs on Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:50 am 
Veteran

This week I made sure all the machines, bandsaw, jointer, planer, big miter saw, lathe, table saw and drill press are working, cleaned & lubed. Got all my 'stock' (couldn't believe how much I brought from San Diego) stored upstairs. Took a (joyful) break from moving/setting up and started building the shavehorse. NEXT...gotta get the dust filter up (bought a new Rikon) and set up the harbor freight (2 horse) dust collector. Gonna put it outside...build a footing and housing w/roof & run the 4"hose through back wall....just play it by ear (or nose) 'til I get it right. THEN.... I gotta finish some chairs I got started & built, but not completely assembled, sanded & finish applied... Here is the Bow back in my old (SanDiego) shop. [url=https://i.imgur.com/efQnMat.jpg%20"target=new"]Click For Full-Size Image. The sack back and the bow back windsor chairs are to the left of my son (we've had a stream of visiting kids/grandkids) eating B'fast & grandson on right. Image[/URL]
ImageClick For Full-Size Image.
Enough for now! whew!

Don

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:11 pm 
Veteran

Looks like an ideal shop. I know you will enjoy it.
But....Come July/August you will need much more ventilation.
I will get HOT in these parts, along with the humidity.

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:18 pm 
Veteran

Humidity?? At least it's a wet heat! :-? :-?

Putting a shop together is fun!
I see you have the same problem most of us have.
WE NEED MORE ROOM!!!

Zulu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:37 pm 
Veteran

That's right, Clipper. Growing up in west Texas, I know what's coming. I have a refrigeration unit(window AC) and plan to, also, put vertical panel window (sealable, I hope) with screening. The fans have been working surprisingly well. I've yet to have a heavy sweat in there.
Right, Zulu! More ROOM. This 20'X30' is twice the size of the shop I have for lat 20 years but it will take a lot of ingenuity to make in hum. Fortunately I have a loft and a separate shed which will soon have a lean-to attached adding 80' more of shaded floor space. For now, all the machines are going to be against one wall...pull out & use then put back...which I've now done and know it works. All the small tailed tools can be stored in loft 'til needed. If you get tired of the pics...see Larry :lol:
Image north wall
Image west wall
Image west wall
Image south wall
Imagesouth wall
Image . Loft

More to come...
Don

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:39 pm 
Veteran

Got the air filter installed (hung up) and then cleaned all the layers of dust that has accumulate. Then, this morning, Phoebe & I, enjoyed the most exhilerating thunder/lightening storm! I know this shop is just a cheap structure to keep the rain out but it is the joy of my life right now...to make it MINE....and I am invigorated like never before!!

Don

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:21 pm 
Veteran

Don2Laughs wrote:
Thanks Ron. That is exactly why I moved back. I'm 4 miles from Buda, Tx, 4 miles from Kyle, Tx and 15 miles from the edge of Austin. Don't know if I have quite enough arm to hit my neighbor with a rock, can't hear a highway nor any planes....took me about a week to realize this place is like heaven! I'm gonna try to post some pics of my old and my new shop. Feels like a dream I'm living!

Don

Wow Don, Looks like you are living my dream. Yer shop is Looking Goooooddddddd

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:33 am 
Veteran

Gradually bringing it together! Got the shavehorse finished (posted on 'Infeed') and that frees me up to finish the 'lean-to' attached to the shed...Hoping to have it up & dried in by Wednesday...got the walls framed..just need to raise them and install joists, plywood top & seal the roofing. Been having to dodge the rain (and lightening :shock: ) ... This critter keeps me in stitches! There's a big oak in the yard and the resident squirrel barks at the cat 'til the cat climbs up...then the chase is on...squirrel always gets the last bark...they chase one another 'til cat can't take it anymore and quits.
This is not the oak...it's a hackberry...couldn't get film of the squirrel chase...but I will!
Clipper, we went to the Kerville festival (ranch) today and listened to the local artists...was great! Do you ever do that? I hear it is quite an event!

Don

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:19 pm 
Veteran

Don
Yep the Folk Festival is a big thing here. It is far bigger than
local artists with lots of national/well-known artists.

If you are brave you can come early (a week) grab a camping spot
and spend the three weeks of the festival.
It's almost a separate community, can tell some weird stores.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:58 pm 
Veteran

Thanks for getting back on this, Duan. I've learned...just what you said....it is a cluster...of artists, artistes and a lot of enthusiastic enthusiasts!! I think, judging from the predominate aroma, that it is a rather earthy conglomeration of peace loving souls. AND.... the music & festivities were very enjoyable the few hours we spent there!
We'll have to swap contact info, if you are so inclined, for the next time I'm out that way. I would love to connect with some resources for shop stock. AND Mountain City is not too far for you to swing by when you are in the Austin area!

Don

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:41 pm 
Veteran

Be happy to swap/share info. I guess a PM would be the way.

If you are inclined we have a free Fourth of July event which features
Robert Earl Keen (big country/western singer) Lasts most of
the afternoon and into the night for the fireworks.

Crowds get too big for me so I don't attend.

Duan.

dum vivimus, vivamus