WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:16 pm 
Veteran

I have to retire my PC 7336 6" random orbit sander. It was fantastic...I could do major flattening of surfaces as well as fine sanding work. Read the reviews for it's replacement 6" unit and they were not good. Many made the comparisons between my old one and the new PC products. Many complained about shaft breaking and inferior internals that failed in 12 months. SO>>>> what do you all suggest I purchase to replace the 6" unit?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:23 pm 
Veteran

AlanS,

What is wrong with the old one? I believe replacement parts are available.
Zulu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:39 pm 
Veteran

Zulu wrote:
AlanS,

What is wrong with the old one? I believe replacement parts are available.
Zulu

The switch was bad...no replacement available. So then I decided to take it apart. Remind me to never play with anything that has a cord attached to it. When I plugged it back in...nothing. I get current to the switch, and after the switch, but then...dead. Tried everything. I think I shorted out the unit...yes, there were sparks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:05 pm 
Veteran

I have a PC 5", a Makita 5" and a Milwaukee 5". I like the Milwaukee best, least vibration and best dust collection. I searched for a 6" Milwaukee, no such thing? Makita makes a 6", more than twice the price of a 5"!!!
Norm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:44 pm 
Veteran

I like my DeWalt 5" 8 hole velcro.

Had it for 10 yrs can't wear it out.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:37 pm 
Veteran

Hey Alan,

I have Makita, MIrka, and Festool. Festool is far and away the best of the three. I was so impressed that I bought two other Festool ROA as well. So I have a 4", a 5" and a 5" Rotex.
I also use hook and loop abrasives wherever I can.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:34 pm 
Veteran

My Porter Cable broke for the 2nd time in 3 months and I tossed it....................want the Bosch 6", but the sticker shock has me rethinking.................Read a lot of great reviews on some other forums from people who do this professionally, but I am still wrapping my mind around the price.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:50 pm 
Veteran

Like Tom, I also recommend Festool. i ecomed the rotex sanders Maybe a 125 (5") or the Ro 150 (6"). i own te 150. The beauty of it is is ca be agressive as a belt sander (using a hard pad, sold separately) and a RO sander.If you pick up a soft contour pad its great for sanding round over edges.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:51 am 
Veteran

I know Festool is supposed to be good, but over $600 for a RO sander? Really? That's what I paid for a Delta 18/36 drum sander when they first came out (admittedly a number of years ago).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:30 pm 
Veteran

RonTeti wrote:
Like Tom, I also recommend Festool. i ecomed the rotex sanders Maybe a 125 (5") or the Ro 150 (6"). i own te 150. The beauty of it is is ca be agressive as a belt sander (using a hard pad, sold separately) and a RO sander.If you pick up a soft contour pad its great for sanding round over edges.

Depends on the sander

Heres a list of the festool sanders from a very good dealer. Do you know that Festool has a 3 year no questions asked warranty and a 30 day trial period. Can use a tool for up to 30 days and if your unhappy you can return it for a full refund.

https://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/ran ... rs/c/1126/

Also Festool is having a recon sale deep discount on reconditioned tools.

https://www.festoolrecon.com

you can sign up for email notifications of the available tools but I suggest checking the site yourself bc by the time I get my emails they are sold out. But even if you miss one sale they'll sell ore. They sell them as they become available.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:06 am 
Veteran

FWW #272 compares and rates 11 5" RO sanders. I don't have the issue, so I can't tell you how the ratings turn out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:46 pm 
Veteran

I don't remember what brand mine is, but it is black, 5 inch, not sure if it has 5 holes or 8, had it for ten or twelve years and have replaced the pad once. It keeps on going. I do not like the switch, it is too small. When I replace it I will look for one with a larger more accessible switch. Something I can operate with my thumb.