PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:24 pm 
Veteran

Lake Conroe, Texas
8.15 lbs.
Two fillets as long as my arm.

Show off Zulu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:44 pm 
Veteran

Nice catch ZULU! Do you guys fish bass all year down there? I guess that is a channel cat judging by the forked tail?

Cool!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:51 pm 
Veteran

Bass fishing does slow down a bit in January but picks up again in February with the spawn.
Yes, it is a channel cat. We catch a lot of them around here.
Zulu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:28 am 
Veteran

Growing up in Kansas fishing wasn't a big part of my youth. But I do remember the bullheads we caught in the stock ponds near the farm. I never understood how the got there, though. Just a cane pole, hook and worm. Then skinning the things with pliers. (grin)

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:25 pm 
Veteran

DennisS wrote:
Growing up in Kansas fishing wasn't a big part of my youth. But I do remember the bullheads we caught in the stock ponds near the farm. I never understood how the got there, though. Just a cane pole, hook and worm. Then skinning the things with pliers. (grin)

Hey Dennis, Define stock pond for me. I have never heard that term here in Southeastern PA.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:25 pm 
Veteran

reelinron wrote:
DennisS wrote:

Hey Dennis, Define stock pond for me. I have never heard that term here in Southeastern PA.

Don't need Dennis for that one.
Stock pond is a very common term for any pond on a ranch or farm that provides water for livestock.
They always contain fish that rarely see a rod and reel.
Great places to go fishing!
Zulu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:14 am 
Veteran

Got it. Here we just call them farm ponds. Used to fish a few around Lancaster PA when I was in college and did quite well. :-D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:05 pm 
Veteran

The 'stock pond' story is from when I was a little kid. I was mystified as to how those bullheads got in there in the first place.

As for the pond, for the most part the farmers would just dig a depression in the pasture and hope that it filled up with rain water. Resulted in a pond that was too thick to drink and too thin to plow, as my Dad used to say.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:06 pm 
Veteran

There is a small pond at my Father in Laws, about an acre that had silted in. Most ponds this way usually have a small creek or are spring fed. They had it dug out and then I bought 100 bass and 100 channel cats at a hatchery. They were growing nicely and we had a 100 year storm and they all washed away except 4 of the catfish. Having the pond too themselves they grew very large and my kids had a great time catching them until the next big flood years later washed them out too. Presently it is silted in again......kind of a shame it was real nice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:12 pm 
Veteran

http://www.richardbollinger.net/closeup ... _large.htm

Actually, the house and pond has been painted by Richard Bollinger 3 times, Spring winter and fall and the prints are quite popular in Southeast Pa. The " Revival " shows the house and pond I mentioned in the previous post.