WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Pair of Roorkhees
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:48 pm 
Veteran

Hey Folks,

Just finished a pair of Roorkhee chairs in sapele. The orange one is sold, but I like the black better myself, and I think it will sell easily. I still have to dress the leather edges on the black one, and then do some serious sitting in it to stretch the heck out of it, punching holes in the straps along the way.

Cheers,
Tom

Post subject: Re: A Pair of Roorkhees
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:39 pm 
Veteran

Black is better looking.
How is the thumb?

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:57 pm 
Veteran

TMS: Indeed , how is the thumb? The ROORKHEE chairs are stunning. I hope there is a consensus on the black one. A question, would you consider making one of maple or ash and (gasp) paint or lacquer the frame black and use a darker red saddle brown leather for the upholstery? Also with regards to stretching the leather, would steaming it first to make is more supple work? And was the orange chair sale made from the "in view open workshop" setting or from previous contact? Gee whiz I'm nosey :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:00 pm 
Veteran

Tom,
A few years ago I made these high chairs for our breakfast bar. The frames were made from 1/2" round bar.
I made the leather patterns out of newspaper and went to Tandy's Leather and picked out the hides I needed.
I used my patterns and cut out the leather.
After installing the grommets, I soaked the hides in the sink over night along with the rawhide thread.
I installed them and pulled everything tight.
Then they went out in the sun until dry.
They turned out pretty good.
Zulu

I also made all the iron work in the kitchen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:01 pm 
Veteran

Hey Guys,

Thumb is getting better, thanks. But just when you think that you've healed from the trauma and surgery, then you have to rehab (a new heqq :mad: ).

Newtooth,

Sure, I'm up for a commission. I would suggest a black ebonizing stain, topped with garnet shellac. Latigo is the best red leather, but it's not very good for chairs as latigo color tends to rub off (from one seat to another :wink: ). Wickett & Graig bridle leather comes in a burgundy color that might suit, and it's some of the best quality product available. My next two chairs will be made with this leather (although not in burgundy) so stay tuned and you'll see what they look like eventually.

The stretching is necessary not because the leather is stiff, but because it is so soft and rubbery. I need it to stretch to its limit, and then punch holes in the straps to suit (the Wickett & Craig product will not have this problem). The orange chair is going to a basketball teammate of my wife, Kris.

No one even stopped to look in the window the day I worked publicly, let alone came in the door. That said, I really do get a kick out of customers that stop by because of what they saw in my window. If the black chair doesn't sell next weekend (with the orange one), I'll put it in the window.

Cheers,
Tom

Ps. Wow Zulu, Those look both very comfortable and very elegant! Rawhide is amazing stuff for pulling things tight isn't it? I've seen rawhide lashings crush the wood they were tied to. Well done.