WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:07 pm 
Veteran

Went to change blades on my chop saw this morning. Imagine my surprise when I took the replacement blade out of the drawer and two teeth literally fell off!

I store all my blades in a single shallow drawer individually. They've not been subject to any trauma. This one has been in there for quite some time. I have, in the past, left some of my saw blades, perhaps this one can't remember, left them soaking in blade cleaning solution for a few days to soften the pitch and gunk in the process of cleaning them. But this is a special purpose made blade cleaner - I wouldn't think it would be caustic enough to cause the teeth to come loose.

I don't know if it's even worth it to see if it can be repaired plus I'm quite uncomfortable mounting it on the saw with the prospect of others coming off while it's spinning in the saw. Probably cheaper to just get a new one. It's not a really high end blade in the first place.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:44 pm 
Veteran

DennisS wrote:
Went to change blades on my chop saw this morning. Imagine my surprise when I took the replacement blade out of the drawer and two teeth literally fell off!

I store all my blades in a single shallow drawer individually. They've not been subject to any trauma. This one has been in there for quite some time. I have, in the past, left some of my saw blades, perhaps this one can't remember, left them soaking in blade cleaning solution for a few days to soften the pitch and gunk in the process of cleaning them. But this is a special purpose made blade cleaner - I wouldn't think it would be caustic enough to cause the teeth to come loose.

I don't know if it's even worth it to see if it can be repaired plus I'm quite uncomfortable mounting it on the saw with the prospect of others coming off while it's spinning in the saw. Probably cheaper to just get a new one. It's not a really high end blade in the first place.

Bite the bullet and buy a new one. :wink: No telling what others might fly off when you run it up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:47 pm 
Veteran

That's the game plan, Gene. I'm too old and slow to doge bullets anymore (grin)

Cheers - Dennis