WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:45 am 
Veteran

Anyone have a source for 5" H&L disks that can be used for wet sanding? I buy most of my abrasives from Klingspor, but they don't stock a wet H&L disk. Woodworker's Supply doesn't have them either.
Alternatively, what would you use for as the liquid for wet-sanding varnish so that the adhesive and paper backing don't dissolve away?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:36 am 
Veteran

drstrip wrote:
Anyone have a source for 5" H&L disks that can be used for wet sanding? I buy most of my abrasives from Klingspor, but they don't stock a wet H&L disk. Woodworker's Supply doesn't have them either.
Alternatively, what would you use for as the liquid for wet-sanding varnish so that the adhesive and paper backing don't dissolve away?

I think you could probably use olive oil or other veggie oil. French polishing (shellac) includes olive oil as a lubricant, so it should be fine for this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:43 am 
Veteran

DRSTRIP: Try this one:
http://www.abrasiveresource.com/Sanding ... s/1477.htm

Alternately try 3mcollision.com and see if there is a product there and a dealer for it close to you. Try also auto body shops and auto parts stores near you. :idea:

As to a lube liquid I'd think any oil might work, like mineral oil or a cooking oil or even water since the disks are wet/dry.

What' the project? :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:52 pm 
Veteran

newtooth wrote:
What' the project? :)

Two projects - the last exterior door for the house (just like the other two I've posted here) and a bench for outside the front door to change shoes, boots, etc. Pictures coming after six more coats of Deks Olje D2 (tip of the hat to TMS for suggesting this great finish).

I thought I could finesse the wet sanding issue by using my (hated) 1/4 sheet palm sander with wet/dry paper. 3M silicon carbide 400 grit paper. It got waterlogged and tore pretty quickly at the clamps that hold it in place. I went back to my ROS and used naptha. Seemed to work fine. I didn't want to use any sort of oil because I was going to be following the sanding with more varnish.