WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:04 pm 
Veteran

I'm curious how you deal with cuts with a tilted arbor. Do you make a new insert for each angle you use or do you use a wide clearance insert? Or maybe you have yet another solution.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:38 pm 
Veteran

drstrip wrote:
I'm curious how you deal with cuts with a tilted arbor. Do you make a new insert for each angle you use or do you use a wide clearance insert? Or maybe you have yet another solution.

I've done both, depending on how wide/thick the piece is. I make them out of 1/4" ply for my saw and have several blanks on hand.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:57 pm 
Veteran

Gene wrote:
drstrip wrote:

I've done both, depending on how wide/thick the piece is. I make them out of 1/4" ply for my saw and have several blanks on hand.

Yeah what Gene said:
I use the same for several different angles and using a thin aluminum* about 1/8' thick as a insert tends to alow for a little more verance in the angles with out a large slot
*I have also used fiber glass but prefer the aluminum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:35 pm 
Veteran

I've made several ZC throats for my Delta Unisaw but what always bothers me is cutting the blade slot. As any Unisaw user, and perhaps others, have to deal with is the fact that the blade doesn't retract far enough below the table to allow installing the blank in order to run the blade up through it. I've gotten around this by installing a smaller diameter blade to allow enough room to place the blank, then running that smaller blade up to make the slot. Just curious how others deal with this. I know after market inserts have a kinduv dado on the underside providing enough space but that seems to be more trouble than how I've been doing it.

Oh, topic relevant - I usually make ZC inserts for whatever angle I'm cutting. Out of plywood.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:17 pm 
Veteran

Dennis before tilting the blade make a wide cut about 1/2 of the thickness of the z plate on the underside to allow clearance for you blade.