WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tool Rant
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:55 am 
Veteran

OMG I just had to do it. Someone stop me the next time.
I purchased a 9.6v cordless rotary tool From Chicago Electric :shock: :shock:
I should have known :shock: Dumb :roll:
I only wanted to cut small cedar ribs off the canoes. No big deal right.
Well the thing "DIED IN THE FIRST NANOSECOND" :) :) SON OF A Bitch man.
Its not like i was asking it to cut down a REDWOOD tree or something of that magnitude..

Don't wast money
PS No Picture will be available because there's nothing left.

Post subject: Re: Tool Rant
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:46 am 
Veteran

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, LB. Been there; made the boo-boo. Lesson learned -

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:34 pm 
Veteran

Isn't Chicago Electric the house brand for Harbor Freight? HF tools might be of dubious quality, but the warranty behavior, at least at my local store, is outstanding. No questions asked, just a refund or replacement.

I bought a vibratory plate compactor and after using for 20-30 hours I found a bolt on the ground next to the machine. For the life of me I couldn't figure out where it came from. I even looked at the parts diagram. When I called the 800 number, they said "bring it in and we'll replace it". I got to the store and said all I really wanted to know was where the bolt had come from. The manager said he was going to replace the machine. Even on sale and with a 20% coupon it was still $500 or so. When we went into the warehouse there were two more compactors that had been clearly heavily used. I asked what the story was. He said some guy had bought them, used them for 29 days, and then returned them under the 30 days "no questions asked" policy. I was amazed. I asked if they really let people do this. His respoonse? "Yes, but they're not welcome in the store after that".

So, if all you need is a tool for a short time and rental costs more than buying at HF, go for it. At worst you'll have to make a second trip to replace the tool, but at least you got the job done. If you're planning to use it heavily, go with a name-brand tool.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:11 pm 
Veteran

I have purchased several HF tools ranging from dumpster fill to extreamly good buy.
Most of the cordless tools have been not so good.
Most of the corded tools good buys.
My favorites.
The 1/2 HP Benchtop Wood Lathe, has been a workhorse.
10 in. 12 Speed Bench Drill Press has been very good.
The Mortising Machine a very good buy at the time 1/2 the price of the next one up.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:40 pm 
Veteran

Harbor Freight.......50/50
Small disposable stuff like glue brushes, foam paint brushes. Some sandpaper OK;
Small battery powered hand tools not so good. However they are so cheaply priced they can be thrown away and replaced.

I have a small mini lathe for pen making and other small turning from them that is several years old. The variable speed
switch went out and I was unable to get a replacement switch from them. Got a switch from the local heating and
air conditioning shop and wired it in myself. Works great.

If I am in the market for a high quality tool I will not go to Harbor Freight. I have found nothing High Quality that they sell.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:55 pm 
Veteran

The only electric tool I have purchased from HF is a 12 inch sliding cutoff saw. I use cut up pallets for heating the shops and after the slats are cut up you are left with the three rails that I put aside until I have a good bunch and then bring out the slider to cut them into 3 pieces for the stove. Still going strong after 5 years and the same blade. Have gone through perhaps 2 hundred pallets since purchase. I guess I have been lucky so far.