WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:10 am 
Veteran

And that would be Edensaw Hardwoods in Port Townsend, Washington. Port Townsend is about an hour and a half drive and ferry ride to the Olympic Peninsula, northwest of Seattle. It's a picturesque part of the state, and a pleasant enough trip so Kris and Peggy Tzu decided to join me.

The variety and selection of domestic and exotic hardwood there is truly staggering. Because Port Townsend is an entry port about 12 miles from the Pacific Ocean, the selection of exotic species is usually better than that of domestic woods, and the prices are usually comparable, if not better. Today, we bought wood for two identical tables from Christopher Schwarz' latest book, The Anarchist's Design Book. I decided to make one from quarter sawn white oak, and the other from African makore. Makore is similar in color and texture to mahogany, and Edensaw has a selection with beautiful waterfall figure.

The lumber gets delivered on Monday, but I have another couple of projects that I need to complete first, so I'll cut it all to rough dimensions and let its moisture content equilibrate to that of my shop for a week or so before I get started.

Stay tuned,
Tom

Ps. The forklift drivers in their warehouse have to be the most skilled of any I have ever met. This guy danced this load of well over a ton of wood, valued at thousands of dollars, around the floor with less than an inch to spare on either end, and more than twelve feet up in the air. I stopped breathing there, for a just a moment or two.

Last edited by tms on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:07 pm 
Veteran

Can't wait for this one, Tom! I've seen that Makore at our local supplier but never in stock that wide. Looks to be beautiful (brilliant) flame in that one.
Did you get the PDF of the book?? I've ordered it but didn't think it shipped yet.

Sounds & looks like a fun day you folks had.

Don

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:25 pm 
Veteran

Hey Don,

Yes, one of the perks of early adoption is that you get both the .pdf and the hard copy for the same price. I've already devoured the best (or at least, my favorite) parts of the book, and will wait until it's in my hot little hands to finish it. So far, I highly recommend it, and I expect to appreciate it even more as I read through it.

The makore was a spot purchase. I knew that I wanted to make one table of quarter sawn white oak, but the second would be of whatever looked good at the mill. I assumed that it would be sapele, but the price, and the figure available for the makore made it a no brainer. I think that one of the reasons that makore was such a good bargain is that it has a list of biogenic hazards as long as your arm, including central nervous system effects. I will definitely be wearing my respirator and gloves for this one. :shock:

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:20 pm 
Veteran

Truly a remarkable place, alright!

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:03 pm 
Veteran

Looks like FUN - definitely on our list to visit

Lawrence

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:07 pm 
Veteran

I wish there was a place nearby to me that had such a selection of woods. There is a place but it is almost a two hour ride. They got a woods from everywhere but pricey and like I said too far for frequent trips.