WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Making it up as I go
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:17 pm 
Veteran

Hey Folks,

I haven't talked much about my latest project; a trifold privacy screen, made of cherry and CVG (clear, vertical grain) douglas fir.  It's a combination that has worked well for me in the past, and hopefully will again.

The heron images are for study only.

The screen is a frame and panel construct with Greene and Greene styled details.  Some of these include, heavier stiles than rails, a cloud-lift motif in the rails, rounded corners and arrises, and square ebony plugs at the mortise and tenon joints.  The cloud-lift in the rails translates to a more complicated shape for the doug fir infill.  The relatively broad expanse of the panel would also be sensitive to ambient moisture changes, and the resulting movement might be too much for the designed shape.  So instead of gluing the panel up (as I had planned to do today) instead I unplugged the glue pot and took down last year's Christmas present, my left handed plough plan.

By planing an intersecting half lap on each edge of the panel boards, there are multiple reliefs for movement.  Since the panels are only 1/4" thick, I decided to do the job by hand.  There is a slight chamfer on each side of the joint, making a narrow "V" between the boards.

I'll have more pictures later, as things progress.

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited by tms on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Making it up as I go
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:02 am 
Veteran

Looks like the start of an interesting thread - I hope the pics keep coming.
I had to look up the "lifting cloud" motif. It was in the vein of what I was imagining based on previous experience with Greene and Greene.

Given your skill set, I'm sure you've figured out how to cut the rails and panel top. For others who might be looking for a lazy-man's approach (ie, the way I tend to roll):

Router bushing sets made for inlays (like these ) allow you to use a single template to cut the rail and the panel end. Let's say you want the panel to fit in a 1/4" deep recess. You cut the panel using a bushing set for a 1/4", with just the bare guide. Then add the outer donut and cut again. The rail is now offset 1/4" from the panel. A slot cutter completes the job. Of course, there are lots of other ways to do this, esp. for those with steady hands on the bandsaw.

(And now that I think about it, if you're willing to cut a deep enough slot, you can just cut the panel square and the slot with a flat bottom, independent of the cloud lift edge. That would really be the easy way to go, though it totally lacks elegance)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:28 am 
Veteran

Hey drstrip,

Thanks.
I've added a study drawing to make things clearer. It's not exact, only for inspiration.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:08 pm 
Veteran

Nice design, I saw a woodworking show a long time ago In the Workshop (I think) This guy made privacy greens with cut outs to similar windows and the screens simulated and high rise building. always thought that was cool. i haven't made one yet, but havent forgotten about it either

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:45 am 
Veteran

Tom that's a nice looking chunk of wood for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:02 pm 
Veteran

TMS: Did you resaw the panel boards from big box stock? The quarter sawn grain is intriguing and in the photo looks bookmatched.

PS. Check your PMs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:49 pm 
Veteran

Hey Newtooth,

I did resaw the Douglas Fir from 4/4 stock, so the center pieces are book matched.
Oh and thanks for the Puzzler reminder, I've been pretty busy lately but I'll get on to it asap.

Cheers,
Tom