WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:51 am 
Veteran

I'm working on an entertainment center (god, how I hate that term. Whatever happened to stereo cabinets???)
Anyway, I wanted to dovetail the carcase and don't have a Leigh jig or the skills and patience to cut them by hand. It was a simple matter to draw up a dovetail template, cut it from acrylic, and off we go.

OK, the carcase is done, now I need grommets for all the wires in and out of the back. 5 minutes to draw them, a couple of minutes each to route. And of course, they match the wood for the rest of the project.

Friends have an annual white elephant Xmas party and I needed the requisite small gift for the exchange. What would be better than something with elephants? These coasters are 3.5" in diameter (should have included something for scale, sorry.)

These were cut with a 60° v-groove cutter and filled with walnut wood filler, then sanded smooth. There's a free program called F-Engrave that takes a drawing with variable width lines and writes g-code for the router that traces the lines, varying the depth of cut to create the varying line width.

The entertainment center will be done soon(ish). I'll post shots when it's ready.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:22 am 
Veteran

Nice process shots and explanation. I am intrigued by the possibilities with a CNC router but likely will never have one.

That's not a goof...It's a design feature.
Dewayne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:49 pm 
Veteran

You make a compelling argument. Now can you pass on some advice for convincing my funds manager?

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:40 pm 
Veteran

DennisS wrote:
You make a compelling argument. Now can you pass on some advice for convincing my funds manager?

Dennis,
When you figure out how to do that, please let me know. :confused:
Zulu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:11 pm 
Veteran

Well, at least for those who are willing to devote some of their woodworking time to making money, you explain to the "funds manager" how much more efficient you could be, or perhaps how you could expand your business to other products to offset lulls in your current business.

After I made the grommets I thought I'd look up on the web how much it would have cost to just buy them. Well, you can't really find ones like this (or like much of anything). And the plastic ones aren't cheap. You could knock these out in 5 minutes from less that $1 worth of wood, probably get $10 for them, esp if they're hardwood.

I've made a couple of signs for various reasons. In looking around on the web on guidance for making them, I've encountered a number of people quoting prices, mostly in the $60-75 per square foot range. The preferred material is called Extira - it's a lot like MDF, but waterproof. Costs about $2/sq ft for 3/4" stock. That leaves a lot of margin for shop costs.

And of course, you would have all sorts of new capabilities for your existing projects or new ones!

How can that argument miss?? :-)