WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:18 pm 
Veteran

I have a vague memory that Tom wrote a great post, with pictures, of how he sharpens cabinet scrapers. Can't seem to find it though. Am I dreaming?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:40 am 
Veteran

There is a very good one by Jim Mattson on sharpening and using handled scrapers at woodworking central ( the host sight of what we are using for those who don't already know)
But maybe Tom did one on hand scrapers too.

Here is the link to Jim's excellent effort. http://www.woodworking.org/WC/Channels/scraper.html

good luck
eric

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:07 am 
Veteran

Lots of videos and articles. I used to sharpen by hand, then I bought http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... ,310,41070 I keep three grades of aggression sharpened with mine. They chip glue, remove mill marks and clean up irregular grain, depending on the burr. I have many gadgets I would not recommend for purchase, but this is not one of them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:53 am 
Veteran

NB George wrote:
Lots of videos and articles. I used to sharpen by hand, then I bought http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... ,310,41070 I keep three grades of aggression sharpened with mine. They chip glue, remove mill marks and clean up irregular grain, depending on the burr. I have many gadgets I would not recommend for purchase, but this is not one of them.

Hmm. Gonna have to buy one of those. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:22 pm 
Veteran

Hey Jamie,

Yeah, that was several years ago, and the server has purged many a post since then. I use a mill file, an Arkansas stone, a Lee Valley burnisher, and my bench vise. I don't use any jigs or fixtures. I like an 8º hook on a square edge, and a relatively stiff card.

It's definitely the most used finishing tool in my shop.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:36 pm 
Veteran

tms wrote:
Hey Jamie,

Yeah, that was several years ago, and the server has purged many a post since then. I use a mill file, an Arkansas stone, a Lee Valley burnisher, and my bench vise. I don't use any jigs or fixtures. I like an 8º hook on a square edge, and a relatively stiff card.

It's definitely the most used finishing tool in my shop.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks, Tom, wish I had saved it for offline viewing. IMHO, the "purging guidelines" followed by the server here are a bit behind the times. Memory is cheap, and these posts don't take much. Really wish we could access stuff further back than is currently possible. Especially in the How To section.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:10 pm 
Veteran

One tip I can pass on with respect to a burnisher for scrapers and such.

Pick up a solid carbide bit for a small dremel tool. Drill the end of a 3/4"± dowel into which the bit can be epoxied. Works great for hand scrapers plus turning a bur on turning scrapers as well.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:29 pm 
Veteran

I have a copy of Toms sharpening post, it's in PDF format so I can't upload to the site. If you want to send me a message I can email it to you. Somehow I found it in my organized mess.

It's been a while since I've been working in the shop. I'm planning to get back out there this year so I should be around a bit more often. Good to see familiar names still active on the site, not to mention the fine work being displayed. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:25 pm 
Veteran

Ed Avery wrote:
I have a copy of Toms sharpening post, it's in PDF format so I can't upload to the site.

Ed

but you can post it to the site. Just attach it to your post. Look below the box where you're typing your reply. The next section down is for file attachments. You can browse for a file on your computer and include it as an attachment. Bingo - we all get to see it, and you don't have to send it to a dozen different requesters.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:25 pm 
Veteran

I tried to upload the PDF, but I get a message "the extension pdf is not allowed". Let me see if I can convert the file to another format.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:40 pm 
Veteran

Ed Avery wrote:
I tried to upload the PDF, but I get a message "the extension pdf is not allowed". Let me see if I can convert the file to another format.

I really didn't expect that! Guess I spoke too soon.
I just tried a test and got the same result as you - pdf file was not allowed. So I zipped the pdf file into a .zip archive and uploaded that. System seems perfectly content to accept it. So, you don't have to try to convert the file - just zip it and attach it.

And ignore the attached file here - it was just for test and has nothing to do with sharpening a scraper. It's about popping the grain in curly maple.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:09 pm 
Veteran

I never would have thought of zipping it, they are usually more suspect than other file attachments. Here is the attachment, put it to good use. I'll read the curly maple article, looks interesting.

Attachment:
card scraper.zip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:04 pm 
Veteran

FOREST GIRL: Try using GOOGLE with the search term "sharpening a card scraper". Lots and lots of hits. FINE WOODWORKING and the WOOD WHISPERER show videos of the sharpening process. There are also lots of hits on YOU TUBE. There are many many ways to sharpen with varying degrees of detail in the process BUT you just have to find one that works for you. Patience and attention to detail will be your friends when you find your method.
Good luck and check in often.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:11 pm 
Veteran

Hey Jamie et al.,

After some fiddling around, I was able to copy the .zip file and re post it in the How To section. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to expand the photo to their original size, but you should be able to zoom in as needed.

Thanks Ed.

Cheers,
Tom