WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Portable Table Saws.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:56 am 
Veteran

I plan on down sizing my table saw and jointer when I get to my new place in the Fl. panhandle. So I have been researching Dewalt, Kobalt, Porter Cable and Ridgid. Checking reviews on line and those that have the HomeTools & Hardware Power Tools Saws Table Saws
DEWALT Model # DWE7480, say you can't use a DADO blade with that saw. Does anyone know the reason for this? I do a lot with my dado and rabbit blades. If I can't use them on this TS, it would be useless to me.
Reviews on the Porter Cable say dado blades can be used, but you need to order the insert. For this saw can one make a dado insert as many of us have made for the standard table saws?

Post subject: Re: Portable Table Saws.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:17 am 
Veteran

yank wrote:
I plan on down sizing my table saw and jointer when I get to my new place in the Fl. panhandle. So I have been researching Dewalt, Kobalt, Porter Cable and Ridgid. Checking reviews on line and those that have the HomeTools & Hardware Power Tools Saws Table Saws
DEWALT Model # DWE7480, say you can't use a DADO blade with that saw. Does anyone know the reason for this? I do a lot with my dado and rabbit blades. If I can't use them on this TS, it would be useless to me.
Reviews on the Porter Cable say dado blades can be used, but you need to order the insert. For this saw can one make a dado insert as many of us have made for the standard table saws?

Could be any number of things; short arbor, low hp (most portables are 3/4 hp), small blade opening, etc. Hard to say without looking at it. You could go old school, and pickup a couple hand planes for dado and rabbets, or get a router table.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:30 pm 
Veteran

yank wrote:

It appears the arbor is too short. You can get the Dewalt DWE7490X or Dewalt DWE7491RS. Both will accept 8" dado stack up to 13/16". They make a dado insert to fit both of these saws. Obviously, both are a little pricier. The 7490 has a scissor type stand and the 7491 has the cart built onto it. Otherwise, appear to be pretty similar to the 7480.

HTH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:25 pm 
Veteran

thanks for the good info.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:51 am 
Veteran

I have down sized and my new portable TS cannot use a dado blade. but that's ok I use a router instead.
Dado blades are not used in Europe .

They get along just fine with useing a router.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:25 pm 
Veteran

Hey Yank,

For what it's worth, consider this another vote for a router table to do your dados with. In Europe, no one uses a table saw dado, in fact, they are actually illegal in some countries.

Cheers,
Tom