WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shop Assistant
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:08 pm 
Veteran

Hey folks,
This post has been a long time in coming. A few months ago, our sweet Zoe pasted away at the ripe old age of 15, and we spent several weeks looking for another Chow to help fill the void. We finally found Zulily at the Denver Dumb Friends League. She is a beautiful 5 year old red to mocha colored chow, and she is a real pistol. I haven't posted pics of her because some moron at the shelter thought it would be cute to shave her to look like a lion. She was very shame based and is just now, almost 3 months later, getting a coat that is starting to show her beautiful color.

She is a chow in every sense of the word. Strong for her size, gobs of energy and loves to chase squirrels and rabbits. She's already caught and killed one squirrel and managed to scare off most of the rest. The problem is that she also wants to go after raccoons and I just don't think she'd fair too well against them. I still have some training to do with her, and as I said she is a Chow, so she is still learning to trust us. Chows are very much a one owner dog. Once they give their loyalty, and that person leaves them, they are VERY hesitant to give their loyalty again. She won't lick up on the face and it's taken 3 months to get a lick on the hand. But that's the nature of Chows. We'll keep plugging away and get there eventually.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject: Re: Shop Assistant
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:05 pm 
Veteran

She's a beauty for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:05 am 
Veteran

Great looking dog!

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:38 pm 
Veteran

Absolutely LOVE Chows. I was fortunate enough to have one, a female we named JAPI for many years. She actually adopted us because apparently someone put her out as a puppy on a road near us. One day I was working in the yard, and she just appeared out of nowhere.

I started feeding her and she came and went for months, but when it turned cold she decided to come in by the woodstove and we really became friends for life.

She was so smart, learned every trick I could think of to teach her. In reality, she was my first dog.

I miss her tremendously.

Skyrider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:48 pm 
Veteran

She is a beauty, I am sure she will be a welcomed and committed member of you family. Lover her color.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:46 am 
Veteran

Thanks for the comments. Sky, great story, any pics?

She is our fourth chow. The first was Zeke. He was a red chow mixed with an Irish Setter and the deepest red color. He was my hiking and camping buddy. Then we got Phoebe, a red chow from some friends who'd found her deserted up in the mountains at a State Park. She had a horrible case of separation anxiety. After she pasted we found Zoe, a red chow/golden retriever mix, and she was just a doll. Loved everyone from the moment she met them. They have all lived well into their mid-teens and their passing hurts every time I think of it. But I then think of all the good times, taking walks, sitting by a fire, canoeing and sailing with my best friends and their love and devotion when you need it most. It's all worth while.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon