WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Moving Target Frame
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:11 pm 
Veteran

This latest project for my firearms instruction business has also been the most complex. My partner in the Springs has one of these, but his is just a 2X4 open frame that he bungee's a steel target stand to. If he wants to change the angle of travel, he has to remove the bungees, move the stand to the right angle, and reapply the bungees. I wanted something a little easier and simpler to operate, so I had to put more work into building it.

The cart is a simple 2X4 butt jointed frame with 8" diameter wheels, and a 1/2" ply top. The top has a 1-1/2" diameter hole in the center with a series of 1/2" holes placed at 45 degree angles on an 18" diameter bolt circle. Sitting on top is a 1/2" ply pivot plate, that pivots on a 1-1/2"dowel with a 1/2" dowel cross bar.

The stand is locked in place by a pair of 1/2" dowel pins that pass through the holes in the pivot base that align with the holes in the top of the cart.

A line attached to each end of the cart and passing through pulleys staked to the ground, allow me to control the cart from behind the shooters.

The cord, stakes and pulleys store in the stand when not in use.

I can switch from an advancing/retreating target, to a transiting, (moving side to side), to a diagonally advancing/retreating target within just 2 minutes. To pivot the stand, I just pull the 2 pins, pivot the stand and re-pin. Then pull and adjust the stakes, and finally turn the cart.

An important tool in making these projects is my new 18ga pin nailer/ stapler I got from HF on sale for just $26. I also used it on the wall and foot assemblies for the wall and to finish enclosing the eaves on the shed.

It works great, but it was missing the compression spring that keeps the trigger down, in the released position. This prevented it from being able to fire again until I pulled the trigger away from the button while the safety plunger was also released. RPITA! Luckily, I have a bin full of various types of springs and found one that worked and worked well.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject: Re: Moving Target Frame
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:17 pm 
Veteran

Cool :-D . When are you going to motorize it for Remote Control? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:41 pm 
Veteran

As cool as that would be, I'm afraid that its a little too far out of my price range just now.

Side note:

We have a pretty cool day for August, so I thought I'd get to box in the eaves on the back side of the shed. I climbed up there and was trimming a piece of siding that was in the way when I saw a yellow jacket fly down into the opening. I squinted to see into the darkness and saw a nest about the size of a baseball. Looked over on the other side and there was an even bigger one in there that was with in sight of the opening. I've doused them both with my Black Can of DEATH. It must be old cause there is still a bunch of them flying about out there. I'm going to climb up there tonight and give em the whole can.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:01 pm 
Veteran

Ice Pirate wrote:
As cool as that would be, I'm afraid that its a little too far out of my price range just now.

Side note:

We have a pretty cool day for August, so I thought I'd get to box in the eaves on the back side of the shed. I climbed up there and was trimming a piece of siding that was in the way when I saw a yellow jacket fly down into the opening. I squinted to see into the darkness and saw a nest about the size of a baseball. Looked over on the other side and there was an even bigger one in there that was with in sight of the opening. I've doused them both with my Black Can of DEATH. It must be old cause there is still a bunch of them flying about out there. I'm going to climb up there tonight and give em the whole can.

The ones we have here generally occupy old gopher or other holes. Lot's of fun when you drive over one while mowing :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:36 pm 
Veteran

WTG Frank! Very nice innovation and execution. BTW I've had/used one of those HF pin nailers for 15 years....can't remember what I paid for it but it was super cheap. I also have a PC that I paid a lot more for and it does about the same job.
thanks for sharing
Don