WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:46 pm 
Veteran

Got the saws going today, putting a top on this 5-drawer unit picked up at Goodwill for $4.99. Plop it on casters, and it wheels around the rough concrete floor rather easily.

Melamine on the outside, all metal drawer bodies on full-extension slides:

My modest and rudimentary plane assortment stores quite nicely with room to grow. The jack plan is too long, not in there. I'll be sharing the shop with a young man who mostly wants to use hand tools, so I'll let him rehab these and tune 'em up:

Drawer bottoms are "perforated" with diamond shaped holes, have lined them with rubber drawer liner for now. Top drawer will have layers, with room for measuring tools, squares, dovetail markers, etc. Way too embarrassing to post picture of the ugly cabinet this is replacing! :D Am happy to report that the Unisaw, SCMS and brad nailer still work.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:59 pm 
Veteran

Looking good FG I need to get out in the shop and do something. I've been lazy all week since I got back from Prague

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:06 pm 
Veteran

Last edited by RonTeti on Sat May 30, 2015 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:06 pm 
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:59 pm 
Veteran

Want me to give you a virtual kick on the backside? :-D I got a little behind schedule when two casters on my clamp rack broke the other day, but new casters are installed, and I've de-rusted the lathe rails, sorted out the turning tools and gone through all my wood to see what's what. All the tools except the jointer have been powered up and seem to run fine. Think I'll throw the switch on the jointer tomorrow. I found a half-dozen little practice bowls that had been turned green and put in bags of shavings (my shop looked like one of those TV scenes where life just stopped when the aliens arrived). I have wood I can't even identify, and way more than needed. There's temptation to build a full-on cabinet to put the lathe on, but must resist and get to actually turning, so just a couple of cubbies under the metal stand will have to do.

OK, your turn -- go for it!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:46 am 
Veteran

I came down with a nasty cold can't shake it. So I haven't felt motivated.
I have been busy. I've been making a lot of American country type stuff. Simple and straight fwd. I give it away to co workers and friends,.
I've been buying antiques and I don't want to ship home the stuff I made. I need to get out and buy a few more things.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:53 pm 
Veteran

My condolences on the cold, especially if it's hanging on like Gorilla Glue. Hope you're better soon!