WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:47 pm 
Veteran

I pop in and read from time to time, but know that I haven't exactly been active with my posts lately, though I miss doing so.

Since moving to Whidbey island on the Puget Sound about 6 weeks ago, we have been working slowly but surely towards making the home "ours". Never having owned anything other than a modern home on 1/4 acre before, we are definitely finding a 1950's house on 5 acres to be more maintenance! (and fun) Karen has been busy painting each room from skirting to ceiling (it's her thing) and I've been adding new fixtures, fixing electrical problems, working on maintenance issues and helping with the boys' schoolwork (we are home schooling). Through this I've also been making multiple trips to the VA squaring things away for my post-military health care.

As far as woodworking, one of the first things I discovered was that the electricity running to the 1200 sq foot grain barn/shop was woefully inadequate (8 ga aluminum) for the subpanel. The boys and I dug a 140 foot long ditch for the new supply (by hand.. in rocky soil) and the supply line has gotten a ditch cover inspection, permit, and approval for a soon upcoming new 100 amp sub. Our 120 year old 100 x 66 barn on the property does not have electricity running to it and other than a really cool (really big) building for storage- I haven't made many plans for it yet (maybe a spray shop in the future...) Until then, it is being run by a huge resident owl we call growler (after the F18s which fly out of the next-door runway on the Navy base)
My sister has a full shop which belonged to my recently deceased brother-in-law who was a cabinetmaker. He was an amazing person and woodworker and I feel honored to accept her offer for me to purchase his tools which include a unisaw as well as a bandsaw etc. It will probably be June/July or so before I pick up these tools, so until then I'm fairly limited in my woodworking (not that I have time to do any other than making chicken and duck coops and maintenance work!) My goal is to have a small business making flag cases/shadow boxes etc- specializing in military materials. This fall I hope to use my GI bill to earn second degree - this one in entrepreneurship which should hopefully help with my startup. I'm also pursuing using a VA program which specializes in assisting vets towards starting small businesses.

I hope to be able to visit here more often, and very much look forward to meeting some of you at the pig roast I miss the camaraderie of this and the other forums and hope to be able to visit more now that the chaos is beginning to settle.

Hope everyone else here is well,
Lawrence

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:52 am 
Veteran

Lawrence,

I gotta tell ya....I'm glad your plans for moving to England changed. It's great to know you're still on the continent. You, Karen and the boys are good friends and I hope to someday get a chance to come visit your 5 acres. I cherish the gifts we exchanged....reminders.
Hope all goes well with your new shop & ambitions.

Don

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:23 am 
Veteran

Lawrence,
It is good to hear from you and I too am glad you are still around and kicking.
I have an idea of what you are going through with the "Green Acres" style home. Our daughter and son-in-law and three kids just moved to an old farm outside of a very small town about 20 miles away. They have 25 acres and the original house is over 100 years old but, has been added on to in 2007. They are now collecting various animals...8 cats, 2 dogs, 2 horses, a few goats and are thinking about a few chickens and geese. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:05 pm 
Veteran

Welcome to the Puget Sound, Lawrence! I'm on Bainbridge Island, love Whidbey -- have spent a couple of 5-day stints there for horse activities. Hope our weather in January doesn't depress you and yours too much. :) Keep those beautiful pictures coming!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:24 am 
Veteran

Glad you decided to stick with the Colonies. I know a little about re-wiring in a house. Get rid of the Aluminum wire as soon as you can. That stuff is horrible and has led to house fires. That's why it ain't used now. The copper to replace will be expensive but the peace of mind can't be beat. I'm green with envy. If I had a 5 acre spread, I'd rent a front end loader and build a range. Then I'd build a small classroom, and go on from there. The shop would have to wait. BTW, if you want to build a range, I've got the plans, just give me a call. All my best to Karen and the boys,

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:21 am 
Veteran

Thanks all- it certainly is busy but fun times right now.

Don, you (and anyone else here) are always welcome anytime- an Amtrack goes from San Diego to Mt Vernon about 20 minutes away and we would love to have you over- we've got plenty of room to share! Please also tell your friend thank you again for the sage and other gifts. Karen burned the sage in our new home (every room and all four cardinal corners) and we have our dream-catchers hung.

Frank, no range though the boys will be doing some archery and my youngest is trying his darndest to catch one of the many rabbits we have on the property.

Thanks again all and I hope to not be such a stranger

Lawrence

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:56 am 
Veteran

LAWRENCE: Handdigging a trenCh that long cries out as I'm sure you have thought of, is the time to add the extra wire for the future if code allows.

Have a thoughtful memorial day, thanks for your service and welcome home after your deployment a few years ago.