WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:02 am 
Veteran

We just bought a house and, at the moment, have no shop space with electric. I need to use my small lathe and would like to get out of carrying it outside and setting it up every day, so... I was thinking of building a small "work shack" against the house, so I could just run a power cord from inside the house when I want to use it.

My main concerns are security when I'm not there (good, locking unit), weather proofing it (for when it's not in use), and having a decent shelter from rain (it does that a bit here ;) ).

I can skip using it on heavy storm days, those don't happen as often. But, I'd like to be able to go out there on days when it MIGHT rain, at least to the point where I can shut it down, cover & lock it, if it starts raining too hard and my equipment gets wet.

I would also like it to be a fairly affordable build, but nice enough that my neighbors don't get mad at me, since we are now "in town", but have no fences. ;)

I think that about covers it. Any ideas? Pics of stuff you've done like that?

Thanks, in advance! :-D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:24 am 
Veteran

:wink: What does your wife think about using it inside, if you clean up after yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:34 am 
Veteran

Haha! :-D

She'd be fine with it, if we had room! That's just it!

She's learning to turn, and would LOVE to have it IN the house. No room though.

So, we were thinking of something along the lines of a "half shed" type look, attached to the side of the house. It's an old cape cod (1945) that's mostly original, so I'll probably skin & trim it to match (original wood siding). I'm just trying to figure out the best way to make it for now, even if I don't skin/trim it right away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:33 pm 
Veteran

Personally I think it would be best to enclose it. Both from a security standpoint and protection from the elements. Don't know how much area/footprint room you may have but if it's enough to allow as described, that would be my choice. And for sure, since you're now 'in town' as you say, be sure the neighbors are on board with your plans.

With respect to power, be sure to use a heavy enough gauge extension as dictated by the distance from the outlet to the lathe. Too much voltage drop in a long undersized power chord will rob the lathe of power and could result in frequently tripping the breaker.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:10 pm 
Veteran

Yes, it will definitely be enclosed! lol And, avoiding long extension cords (all my shop cords are heavy) is exactly why it's going to be next to the porch - the power is right there. You're absolutely right about those things, for sure! :-D

The enclosed part - possibly the whole thing, if I make a convertible sun/rain shield, for when I'm working - will be small. Just big enough to fit a Jet 1220, the few tools I'll want to keep out there all the time.

I'm just wondering if anyone's ever built a small, outside turning station like that before, and has pictures. Lookin' for some good ideas. :-D

THANKS!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:00 pm 
Veteran

Security wise, there are some DIY things you can do. A game camera (~ $75 from walmart) will take pictures & video when triggered by the built in motion detector day or night, which would identify a thief and date/time stamp the pic. Portable alarms sensitive to movement, are available at Lowes and other big box stores for a few $$.

I have the WGI model t5i3w game camera from Walmart. Check it out: http://www.wildgameinnovations.com/prod ... BCsJaNTZRc

Here's a couple pics to show the quality of picture it takes:

Nite pic of a fox in my woods (infrared leds - no visible flash):

And a daylite pic of the neighbors dogs in the same area:

Properly positioned it would also take a pic of a car or truck, including the license plate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:04 pm 
Veteran

GREAT IDEA!!! I'll look those up. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:50 pm 
Veteran

This might be stretching things a bit from the stand point of room on your lot and cost of building the shed. BUT, Have you considered adding on to the garage?
Either from the back or side of the garage makes for a lot of extra room. You can build it with the entry from inside the garage that way and in time you might be able to hard wire it for your tools.
We added another "garage" size shop on the back of the existing single car, attached garage, about thirty years ago. It was originally built to be a racing "Go Kart" shop. Then when I went into business it became a warehouse and repair shop for Mac Tools and boxes. Then I retired and it is now my woodworking shop.
I realize that you need room next to the garage (one way or the other) but, you could at least make it as big or bigger than your current plan.
I also realize cost comes into play but, you would really be adding value to the whole house at the same time.
I think if you do it step by step, enclose an area and weather proof it first. Add electricity at some point. Insulate it and put in sheeting a bit later etc etc.
Just remember....and this is a FACT.....No matter how big you build it, within a year you will wish you had made it just a bit bigger. I sure could use the extra two feet to the east now that my wife wanted me to make it 30 years ago! :lol:

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:38 am 
Veteran

Thanks Roger!

Those are all great ideas, but this is a truly temporary fix. We're actually going to tear down the existing garage and rebuild it approx. 3x the size, to match this old house. We just put a big, temporary storage building in the back of the property so we don't have to keep everything in the house when we do the garage. ;)

All I'm doing is building a small, secure enclosure for my little lathe so that I can use it in the meantime, without having to haul it in and out to protect it from weather (mostly) and thieves. More or less, a stand + a little bench space (a LITTLE) with a fairly sturdy box around it.

The bench/box will be attached to the house for now (for power).

I'm really looking for ideas to make it look better when it's closed & locked up, and ways to make it fairly simple to go out there, unlock it, open it, and have it pretty much ready to go (as much as it would be in a shop setting).

I just don't want to wait 6+ months to be able to use my lathe regularly again - Christmas is coming! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:06 am 
Veteran

You could just buy a small Rubbermade shed like this one from Blue for just $300.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_551122-1217-189 ... facetInfo=

You could keep the lathe in the shed, and set up a small pad or platform to stand on and work it right there. You could also add a hasp and padlock for very little. The key thing is that it's "Out of sight, out of mind." Most burglers wouldn't give a little shed like that a second glance because they are usually used to store lawn tools, shovels, rakes, garden hose or a lawn mower at most. Not enough value to warrant the risk of breaking into it. This is relatively cheap, looks good for a temp fix, keeps your tool out of the elements, and disguises it enough to keep it safe.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:03 am 
Veteran

I was going to suggest what Frank just did. Or build a small storage shed. Either way, when you complete a permanent shop, the storage shed could be sold. Probably wouldn't have cost you much this way.

Norm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:38 am 
Veteran

Thanks! Great ideas! :-D

I think that's what I'm going to do - build a small, lockable shed, and secure it to the house from within.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:08 pm 
Veteran

I would suggest getting a small "storage building" and running a heavy duty cord to it. Rather than attaching it to your hous .Also if you are "in town zonin g and building codes would likely apply to anything attached to your house.