It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: High water!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:45 pm 
Veteran

Attachment:
2014 flood mt vernon.jpg
2014 flood mt vernon.jpg [ 41.74 KiB | Viewed 3171 times ]

Skagit River, Mt Vernon. A lot of the valley is flooded at as of this morning. Glad I occupy the high ground.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject: Re: High water!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:26 pm 
Veteran

Glad you are uphill, hope folks didn't get flooded out below you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:28 pm 
Veteran

Hey Folks,
Don't be unduly alarmed, what Dennis forgot to tell you is that this is an annual occurrence.
Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:46 pm 
Veteran

tms wrote:
Hey Folks,
Don't be unduly alarmed, what Dennis forgot to tell you is that this is an annual occurrence.
Cheers,
Tom

Not quite, Tom. Not quite annual, but frequent none the less.

The last time the Skagit spilled her banks was maybe 8 years ago or so, can't remember exactly, but it was far worse than this. In the ensuing years we've had high water but no flooding. At least not in the valley here where I am.

As someone who works in the hydrology sector (kinda) perhaps you could comment on what a few people have told me about the Skagit - mainly that the Corps of Engineers (or some Gov't agency) has declared it, the Skagit, to be a 'wild' river. Meaning there are no dams on it. Which you and I know isn't the case, of course but it sure changes the situation when it comes to getting, or trying to get flood insurance.

Also, since it's now considered 'wild' the Corps no longer dredges it. In years past, paddle boats used to run up the river quite a ways beyond Sedro-Woolley, in fact. Since it's no longer dredged, I've heard reports that there is probably as much as 12' of siltation in the the river bed between Sedro-Woolley and where it empties into Puget Sound.

What few people seem to appreciate is the fact that the floods that occurred naturally before the non-existant dams were built are what produced some of the richest and most productive farm lands this side of the Cascade Mountains.

As far as I know, Reeliron, few if any people suffered any really severe flood damage this time around.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:35 pm 
Veteran

Hey Dennis,
I thought that flooding on the lower Skagit was a regular occurrence, since as you say the Corps. declared it a wild river. That just means that they aren't going to try to control it by diverting it or holding it back. As you know, there are three dams on the upper river, but they are strictly for generating hydroelectric power, not flood control. Much of the lower river is a wildlife refuge, and a wildlife preserve, which I'm sure had a bearing on the Corps. decision. There are also plenty of dikes and levees along the river, so "wild" is a relative distinction I'm sure.
Cheers,
Tom
ps. I took only one class in hydrology in school, it's not really my forte'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:08 am 
Veteran

This is one of the few that came close:

Attachment:
2014 flood Clear Lake.jpg
2014 flood Clear Lake.jpg [ 100.06 KiB | Viewed 3113 times ]

Actually, I think there's still a measure of control being exercised with respect to flood control on the Skagit. Nevertheless, Mt Vernon has installed a rather sophisticated system of flood control "gates" along the riverwalk that makes us what they call the Revetment along the West bank as it passes the city. It's a pretty awesome site to see all that real estate covered with with water.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:24 am 
Veteran

Wild and Scenic here means control beyond the banks of what the landowner may do. It's a way for some treehugger in the city to feel good by "preserving" nature. Ever notice that preservation only works on dead stuff? They tried to get the one that flows through my place declared a number of years back. DNR, Sierra Club, every hugger organization sat ex officio on one side of the table. Landowners, if they signed up far enough in advance, could sit on the other side and talk for 3 minutes.

Lamprey weir and abutment improvements not considered, widowmakers within 150 feet of the bank would require permission to remove.