WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Those that can do.......
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:42 pm 
Veteran

You have probably heard the old saying: "those that can do, those that can't teach." I found an excellent example of that. I am a substitute teacher and this fall I started getting a lot of automated calls for openings at schools I had not taught at. The machine requires you to put in a pin number. The problem is it will not accept the pin number from the school I have taught at. I called both the schools and the "tri county educational service that certifies the subs. No one can tell me who handles the automated service or how to get a pin number that the machine will accept. Also the machine keeps calling even after you put in the number for no more calls as many as four times in one morning. The schools complain they can't get subs, while many subs are complaining about not being able to get a valid pin number. Yet after three months nothing has been done. I finally stopped the calls to my phone by sending an email to one of the schools superintendents explaining the situation (for the third time) and added that if the calls continued I would charge him with telephone harassment. No private business could stay open if they operated the way the schools do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:33 am 
Veteran

Buy a comma or two. "Those than can, do...."

Though I would not expect anyone with a degree in education to be concerned enough to become an expert in administrative systems. Do you have an ISD for your three counties? Sounds like part of the traditional control ploy these administrative units are so fond of. SWMBO plans on subbing after she retires this coming summer. Wonder how the local cert has changed from the days when I did it.

Another thing that bugs the English teacher is people who make a Personal Identification Number redundant.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:15 pm 
Veteran

There are two pin numbers that you can use. One for each school and one for each county. That much I can find out. But how to get a pin number is something I can not find out. When the schools start using the asop system they send information to the subs who have subbed in the past at their schools, but if you haven't subbed for them before they can't tell you how to get a pin number. But they call from the county list even if they haven't given you the pin number. The problem is no one at the school can give you a pin number or tell you how to get one if they haven't sent you one. When the vocational school started the system, they sent me the information needed (after calling me for a week).When I called them for a pin number they said I should not be getting calls until I received the information that was on her desk to be mailed to me. I can accept a week delay. What ticks me off is not being able to get the information needed to accept, or stop the calls after three months of polite calls with out threatening the school with harassment charges. Since I am kept busy teaching at the four schools I teach at that do not use the systems and the vocational school that does use the system, I don't need, or even want the assignments that would require me to drive more miles. When they keep calling it ties up my telephone line. So I can not accept local positions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:43 pm 
Veteran

NB George wrote:
Buy a comma or two. "Those than can, do...."

Though I would not expect anyone with a degree in education to be concerned enough to become an expert in administrative systems. Do you have an ISD for your three counties? Sounds like part of the traditional control ploy these administrative units are so fond of. SWMBO plans on subbing after she retires this coming summer. Wonder how the local cert has changed from the days when I did it.

Another thing that bugs the English teacher is people who make a Personal Identification Number redundant.

TGIF Friday's??

Countin' flowers on the wall,
that don't bother me at all,
smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo,
Now don't tell me I've nothin' to do.

Second recipient of the D'oh Award. 4-13-08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:56 am 
Veteran

Sounds like an administrative issue. Not a teachers. As a teacher I hate to be out as the subs we get never do what is asked.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:57 pm 
Veteran

I find it interesting that your subs don't do what you ask. About half of the teachers I sub for expect me to teach. The other half have me show movies or give the students another study hall. I am considered the "preferred sub" at the vocational school , and the one high school for math and science. As well as the "E learning Center" for math. I understand what you are saying though. I once had a student ask me:" why don't you just read a book and eat pretzels like the last sub did?". I answered him:" Maybe that is why they called me instead of him!"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:49 am 
Veteran

Easy
If the students do not complain then the administration is happy.
(some subs are very good at what they do, some are there to be a warm body and nothing more)