WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:38 pm 
Veteran

My first experience with green wood (walnut) I found the wood turned out long curls. now for advice , in the past there was mentioned drying the half done turned piece in the microwave, what precautions should I need to know, like too much time? Any other advice will help. :-D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:14 am 
Veteran

Frank Robie wrote:
My first experience with green wood (walnut) I found the wood turned out long curls. now for advice , in the past there was mentioned drying the half done turned piece in the microwave, what precautions should I need to know, like too much time? Any other advice will help. :-D

More of an art than science, according to most. First things first. Do not use the household microwave, and do it out of SWMBOs area.

Trouble is, your home microwave really doesn't have "power" settings. It's either rattling molecules or not. You can hear it slow the fan and watch it dim the light when you select a less-than-full power option. So, the trick is to avoid continuous stimulation, allowing the whole thing to shed water evenly. Depending on your model, go to about 30-40% on (3-4 on the tens scale) and give it about three-four minutes for the first kick. I put the whole in a plastic bag which evens out the humidity. After the cycle, let sit for five, ten minutes, letting the water run out of the bag. Turn the bag inside out, repeat, until the bag no longer drips. At that point, a cycle or two at 30% and two minutes will end gross moisture evolution. I then give it two days sitting on the shelf.

You don't want knots or dense grain in a thick piece, because they can ignite inside the insulation provided by the other wood, rather than cooling. You can't stop the burn if it does. Get the piece out of the house/garage, and throw it into water.

One of many articles available from a search. http://mgorrow.tripod.com/microwave.html Two references at the bottom as well.

Personally, I rough a lot and shelve the results for simple air drying, Takes a couple-three months to equilibrium at a inch, less at less thickness. Also keeps me busy on the wet log until it's gone rather than losing a bowl or two fiddling for one to finish.

Post subject: Micrwave drying
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:00 pm 
Veteran

To let you know , it worked ok, but this was walnut sap wood, it turned dark (as in grey) but did turn out ok after lots of dark walnut stain.
These were practice pieces so probably will be firewood.
This is six 3 in thick slabs, Beautiful grain some have a nice crotch design
all for the promise of a pepper mill and 450. mill charge. They were about 30in long by about 24in wide, from a big old black walnut.

Post subject: Dry in bags
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:07 am 
Veteran

I ofte succeed with dryin green bowl turning if I do like this.

I turn the bowl 95 % in the same day.
Then i pack the bowl in a plastic bag wit lots og saw dust. I change saw dust once aweek until dry. Slow and safe.
I have never succeeded with the microwave. Not with green bowls not with green tomatoes either.
I think some thing have to take time to turn out ok.
anders