WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: tool rests?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:21 pm 
Veteran

I turn a lot at work with my students. The tool rests are getting dinged and hacked. In the afternoons I bring out my own gauges and chisels to play and to try to improve my turning skills.
After regrinding the tool rests today I thought of getting my own made up by a friend who works as an mechanic at a metal workshop nearby.
I remember I ve seen some in the US that was made of a circular rod just like the letter T. But that was in the old days... The diameter of the top of the "T"? If its 8 inches long. Would 3/4 diameter be sufficient?
Have any of you photos of custom tool rest you ve made your self?

/ Anders andersjustincase

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:14 pm 
Veteran

3/4" is plenty stout for a tool rest. The main thing is to make sure the post and cross bar are well mated to each other. There are some commercially available rests that are perhaps no more than 1/2" diameter.

I'll fetch a photo of one I made a while back later when I feel like braving the chill in the shop.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:15 am 
Veteran

Teach them to hold their tool to the rest with their other hand. No distance, no ding. Any rest made from cylindrical stock moves the fulcrum back from the work, which is not what we want to do. Commercial types using a 6mm tack-welded rod on mild steel are a common solution. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208256 ... -Post.aspx

Post subject: Toolrests made
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:57 am 
Veteran

Yesterday the toolrests came back from my friends work shop. He charged an apple cake for his birthday so that was cheap!

[img]http://www.woodworking.org/photo/albums/userpics/13635/annhållx3.jpg[/img]
See "toolrest school1"

One made as an J hook for bowl turning. I saw that one in Sorbys website.
One made as an T bar. According to comments here that isnt ideal design but I ll try it anyway..
And the third one like a little table. I found some odd old turning chisels in a cupboard in school. Probably 50 years or older. BAHCO Swedish brand and a little old booklet about "The upside down gauge type - a new way to teach boys to turn"

It is supposed to eliminate chatter as it is a big surface to rest int on. The chisel design is like the photos. On some of them the "roof" is slooping and half round. On athers they are straight. According to the pamflet they are sheering instead of scraping. My friend made the tool rest after a photo in the book.
Illl go in to work next week to try them.
Thanks for watching.
Anders
[img]http://www.woodworking.org/photo/albums/userpics/13635/anhållschool.jpg[/img]
See "toolrest school2"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:26 am 
Veteran

The flat one's sold here as a box rest. People hollowing boxes get support further into the turning with it, unless it's like the one I have, where they cantilevered the flat portion and then attached an angled brace underneath that limits reach to maybe 2-3cm into a turning. Don't burnish a curl, just use a deburred edge on your scraper or a hook/ring tool. Means you don't (can't) have to tuck the nose down to start a shaving. Which is what you want to tell them about that round rest, for sure. Easy to tip and trap between rest and work.

Interesting shape on the double half-gouge tool, that's for sure. Lots of Scandinavian types emigrated to work in the woods here, so their traditions and tools followed. Can't say I've ever seen something like that at an estate sale, though.

Post subject: types of chisels
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:50 am 
Veteran

NB, I forgot to mention that my friend also polished my old tool rests. No dings left - instead a mirror shine surface.

I took a photo of the booklet.

See "selection"

I ve found 20 of them in the cupboard so I guess its a complete set. They are all stamped with "BAHCO" or "E A Berg". There are also illustrations how to tackle different projects for instance bowls.

See "bowl tech"

Thanks for watching.
/Anders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:50 am 
Veteran

Used to have to draw file the iron rests up at the school when the kids neglected to hold their hand and the tool to the rest. Worked fine. Cast iron has good slide.

Quite the set of tools, all apparently scrapers, use of which seems simple when just removing wood, but gets delicate when it comes time to actually smooth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:07 am 
Veteran

I make my tool rests out of round 3/4 stressproof steel, or 3/8 x 1 flat stock and they hold up quite well.