WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Earring design
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:11 pm 
Veteran

Since Robbie doesn't wear this kind of earring design and I don't have any 'personal' experience with it either perhaps I you folks would be so kind as to critique my prototype:

Sorry for not including something for scale, but it's about 1 1/8" in diameter. The final product would be turned thinner, perhaps as thin as 1/16". But I'm at a loss to figure out how to suspend it either with a hook or stud. My local Michael's doesn't carry sterling silver studs, the kind you glue on the back of such things so I figured I might just make it a "danglie" kind of thing.

The trim around the outside is bone, the infill is, for the prototype just some scrap maple. I'm thinking rosewood would look great as the infill but even as thin as 1/16" it might be too heavy to hang on the ear lobe for any length of time.

I have some incredibly small drill bits I thought I might just drill the edge and CA glue in a bit of silver wire to attach it to the hook or a beaded stud.

I'll tell ya, with fingers the size of bratwurst this is tedious work! But fun.

Thanks for any suggestions and please, don't be shy with the crit!

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:01 pm 
Veteran

Nice look to it. Good combination of the bone and maple. I wouldn't worry too much about weight. I'd doubt that they are really that heavy when compared to some I've seen. Looks good.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:39 am 
Veteran

Dennis,

You're going after the wrong market worrying about weight and hangers. This would make a perfect insert ...

Sorry! Couldn't resist! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:13 am 
Veteran

calebmil wrote:
... This would make a perfect insert ...

I'm sorry, I guess I was born way too early.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:37 pm 
Veteran

DennisS wrote:
calebmil wrote:
... This would make a perfect insert ...

I'm sorry, I guess I was born way too early.

or 1000 years too late (and a continent too far to the north-west
:)

I like the design though-- I'd love to see it in bone/cocobolo/purpleheart/bloodwood/etc
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:31 am 
Veteran

Actually, Lawrence, I've got a piece of rosewood I intend to use for at least one set. The problem is this is getting to be, shall we say, problematic.

My first thought in order to get more or less matching grain on the wood, I'd turn the bone into a cylinder, wall thickness as thick as possible given the vagaries of the cross section of a bone. Then turn the wood infill round to fit snugly inside the bone cylinder, glued in with epoxy. Then simply part off disks from the result. I'm afraid I need to practice my turning skills to produce free hand the kind of right fit of the bone tube over the wood cylinder. The first attempt resulted in having the bone split and come unglued from the wood.

I find that turning quite slow keeps the bone from getting too hot, which also seems to contribute to it cracking.

My latest approach this afternoon was to simply turn the outside of the bone round then get a short length, maybe 3/16" deep round on the inside, then slowly and carefully part that off, then bore out a bit more, part it off, and so on. Now I've got a series of bone rings.

What I plan to do is mount a piece of display wood to a glueblock and turn a short tenon to fit inside the ring, glue it on and finish turn the face of the tenon. Part that off and do the next one.

There was a thread here on the forum that described a great way to chuck these small thin disks for finishing the rough side. When I get some time I'll look it up again if anyone's interested and can't find it.

Cheers - Dennis