WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:03 pm 
Veteran

I have had a Leatherman tool for about as long as I can remember.

This is the original, now called a PST

I started with the original tool back in the 80's. Over the years I have had just about every kind they made. From the original in black oxide. To the little "key chain" sized one. To the Juice then the Supertool then the Wave.

I liked the original but found I really liked the screwdriver feature in the Wave. I find the Supertool just too big and heavy. Plus the Supertool had an annoying feature that you had to open another blade to release the lock on one you had open.

In November of 2003 I had to travel overseas to Guam to meet and ride a submarine for 21 days. I ride boats occasionally for work. I forgot to bring my trusty Leatherman so I bought a Wave at a department store. It cost almost $80 but i figured what the heck. I considered it my "Go to sea Toolbox". And for the next 5 years it was always on my side. I even had it my pocket when I (rarely) wore a suit.

Well somewhere along the way I broke the tip off of one of the pliers jaws. And then I dropped it off of a ladder onto a concrete floor and broke the serrated blade. I was crushed. I started wearing the Supertool but it was still too big to be comfortable. I ended up not wearing one for about 6 months. I found myself constantly reaching for it and not finding it.

Surfing the web one night I hit on the Leatherman site and figured I'd mail it back to them to see how much it would cost to have it repaired. I figured it would be around $30 or so plus return shipping. So last month I sent it off. Four days later I get a package from Leatherman. Inside is a brand new and improved Wave. No charge. Even for shipping.

The new one has been on my belt since then. I feel complete again. Almost glad to have an old friend back. I really like the changes they have made. This is one heck of a tool.

Here is the new and improved Wave. 17 tools in 1

I cannot speak any more highly about the service from Leatherman. And the tools speak for themselves.

http://www.leatherman.com/

Thanks,
---Nailer---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:57 pm 
Veteran

I'd say that's good service! I've never been able to hang on to mine, seems like I always lose them. You did good.

Take care,
Carlos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:44 am 
Veteran

Wow this is interesting, I have a similar tool except mine is Gerber, a model they no longer make. I've had it for years and like Nailer I am not complete without it. A couple years ago I broke the pliers and emailed Gerber about it and they said it was discontinued and if they could not repair it they would replace it with another similar model. Sent it, they fixed it, no charge. I was very pleased as it is my most used tool, use it many times every day. I recently broke the blade off and must send it back again but have been reluctant to do so cause I just hate being without. On a whim I checked out ebay for knives and lo and behold there was the exact model I have, reconditioned by Gerber, well $29.00 including shipping later it is mine, this was just the other day so don't have it yet. Paid $59.00 for mine about 15 years ago. When it arives I will send my broke one to Gerber for repair. Hope it comes back whole and not replaced.

Shun those studies in which the work that results dies with the worker.
-- Leonardo da Vinci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:46 pm 
Veteran

I had a leatherman for five years and then I had a problem but their service did not help me! Their service is useless when you reach into your case and find the case empty! They don't cover "lost" leathermans. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:55 am 
Veteran

Yup they are fantastic about that stuff. I had my original repaired when the pliers broke, and then the same with the wave, when the locks were not working, and again when the pliers broke on that one too.

I am lost without my leatherman.

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:23 pm 
Veteran

WOW That's fantastic! I've been carrying a Wave ever since they came out and love mine to death. The first one I had, I'd broken just like your's. Nice to know they stand behind their product, and if I find it, or break my current one, I'll ship it to them. Thanks for passing this on. I really love their tools. 8)

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:59 pm 
Veteran

Most of the buckskinners I know have one in their gear. I don't see how Davey Crocket, Danial Boone, Jim Bridger, and the other longhunters and mountain men survived with out a leatherman. :shock: :shock: