WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:56 am 
Veteran

I need help again with my computer. I am running the @#$%^&* vista and I cann't get any email addresses deleted from my email address book. How do I get them to delete. My address book has over one hundred invalid or unused addresses and I can not get them to delete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:52 pm 
Veteran

What email program are you using?

If it is Thunderbird, you should be able to highlight a name in the address book, then right click to bring up a menu with delete as one of the choices. Outlook has something similar as I recall, but I haven't used it in a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:33 pm 
Veteran

I am using the default program that came with the vista. I beleive it is outlook exp[ress.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:26 am 
Veteran

Donald Weimer wrote:
...I am running the @#$%^&* vista and ...

Get out your compass and draw three or four concentric circles on one side of the box. Paint the alternating rings alternating colors, white and red. Place the box about 100' in the distance and see what kind of shot group you can get with your 30-30. .22 won't penetrate the case, you'll need the higher caliber.

Just kidding of course.

Have you tried the help file? It's inconceivable that there's no way to maintain the address book. Personally I'd use Control Panel and delete the email client then install something more robust and user friendly.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:08 am 
Veteran

The default mail program that comes with Vista is Windows Mail. However, all the home page sites (yahoo, msn, google, etc) have mail programs. All have some way of deleting people in the address books, usually by clicking on the address book (which may be listed under the Tools menu), then highlighting a name. Delete will show up somewhere.

Windows does not call the address book "address book", they call it "Contacts"

If you are using Windows Mail, click on Tools at the top of the page, click on Contacts (or Windows contacts) to get a listing of names. Left click once to highlight a name, then right click on the name to get a menu with Delete on it.

Having said all the above, first try clicking START to open the basic choice window. This should have your computer name (user name) at the top. Click on your name to get a list of files. "Contacts" should be near the top of the list. If so, this is your address book. Click to open the list of names, highlight a name, delete.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:33 pm 
Veteran

DennisS wrote:
Donald Weimer wrote:

Get out your compass and draw three or four concentric circles on one side of the box. Paint the alternating rings alternating colors, white and red. Place the box about 100' in the distance and see what kind of shot group you can get with your 30-30. .22 won't penetrate the case, you'll need the higher caliber.

Just kidding of course.

Have you tried the help file? It's inconceivable that there's no way to maintain the address book. Personally I'd use Control Panel and delete the email client then install something more robust and user friendly.

Dennis I don't have a 30/30. But I suppose any of my 45 caliber muzzle loading rifles will work. The smoothbores at 69 caliber would also work if I stick to 100 feet and not move out to 100 yards.! I could hit it with the rifles but smoothbores are limited in accurate range.
The help section on my computer tells how to add and organise email addresses but not delete.
I have figured out how to delete them one at a time, by trial and error last night . It only took me an hour to do what I should have been able to do in a minute or two.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:20 am 
Veteran

Donald Weimer wrote:
...It only took me an hour to do what I should have been able to do in a minute or two.

Hey ... Bill Gates is no personal friend of mine. That's appalling! If it takes more than five seconds there's something not quite right with the program.

I guess the 100' distance spec is totally arbitrary. In your shoes I'd simply drop the box in a safe spot and go at it point blank!

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:15 pm 
Veteran

Donald Weimer wrote:
DennisS wrote:
Donald Weimer wrote:

Dennis I don't have a 30/30. But I suppose any of my 45 caliber muzzle loading rifles will work. The smoothbores at 69 caliber would also work if I stick to 100 feet and not move out to 100 yards.! I could hit it with the rifles but smoothbores are limited in accurate range.
The help section on my computer tells how to add and organise email addresses but not delete.
I have figured out how to delete them one at a time, by trial and error last night . It only took me an hour to do what I should have been able to do in a minute or two.

My Dad was sorely tempted to do just this exact scenario. Seems he badly infected his machine and I needed to clean it up for him. He's a "retired" Marine of 22 years with certificates of marksmanship etc. I would not want to be on the wrong end of his sites. I've seen the old boy in action.

If ever there was a time when a PC almost met an untimely ending...
:D :shock: :D