WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:13 pm 
Veteran

Well, I cleaned up and sharpened the first of my "user" wooden planes today-- this 16 inch jack plane. I wanted to make it a user in the traditional sense-- not too whispy a cut, but a consistant copy-paper thin cut. I sharpened the ancient spear and jackson iron with my wet sharpener-- it is a VERY thick tapered blade... the steel is quite hard and it took a LONG time to sharpen the 25 degree initial bevel. I put a 27 degree secondary bevel on the iron and rounded the corners of the blade slightly. I chose to not put a camber on the blade. I then tuned the cap iron on sandpaper and wire brushed the top round (not sure what that is called) I then re-flattened the bottom of the plane (it was quite gnarled up) on the jointer with a VERY thin cut and waxed the entire thing.

I set the iron in and tapped the wedge in place with my wooden mallet. As the back of the iron has been bent and has been peened over a bit it has obviously been hit with a metal hammer (a lot)

After a minute or two of messing, the plane took lovely shavings from this maple (not the most difficult wood to plane I'll admit, but it did the job)
I also glued up a crack and cleaned up the body of the trying plane. When I unscrewed the bottom piece and took it off, what looked like pieces of chalk were in the wood... Perplexed I carried on with the repair. After further investigation, I discovered it is lead rod placed in the plane to add weight :)

We're out of town this weekend, but I'll tune this one up next week and give-her a go as well

Just thought I'd share-- I've seen similar planes to my jack plane on e-bay for a song (under 20 bucks) and I can't imagine getting a new plane with the same quality iron for under 3 times that amount.

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:22 pm 
Veteran

WOW those are some nice planes. I never knew they added lead weights to those planes. But it does make since. 8)

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:22 pm 
Veteran

Thats some nice looking planes, Lawrence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:22 pm 
Veteran

After all this time, I still can't understand why anyone wants those curly thin pieces of wood, or what you guys do with them.
can't think of anything you could make with them, unless by rolling them up to make pen blanks.

Countin' flowers on the wall,
that don't bother me at all,
smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo,
Now don't tell me I've nothin' to do.

Second recipient of the D'oh Award. 4-13-08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:19 am 
Veteran

Sean McNulty wrote:
After all this time, I still can't understand why anyone wants those curly thin pieces of wood, or what you guys do with them.
can't think of anything you could make with them, unless by rolling them up to make pen blanks.

Fire starters. The ones off the jointer pack too tight to get good oxygen around them.

Nice to swish them off and find a surface you could never get sanding, too. Looks like Lawrence has been bitten, now the hand tool mania wil grow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:16 am 
Veteran

Looks Awesome Lawrence!!