WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:14 am 
Veteran

It doesn't look like much, but HOLY COW 5/4 quarter sawn white oak is pricy...

this 30 bf of quarter sawn oak and 10 bf poplar (for drawers/secondary wood) will hopefully morph into something akin to this

http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore/it ... 65120.html

The piece is to be used as a hutch to hold a dvd player, dvr/direct tv box, wii, etc and the side portions behind doors will be for dvd's etc. The drawers will be used for game controllers etc.

I am making several changes to the original pattern
1. My cabinet will be deeper-- the original is 13 inches deep and this will not suffice for electronic items-- therefore I am going 2 inches deeper (15 deep)
2. Because of the new width/depth, solid wood would add considerable cost-... I am instead going to use ply.
3. But I want to keep the project quarter sawn white oak... and it is unavailable locally.... and shipping for 2 sheets is out of the question ($100+ for shipping alone) so I am instead going to make my own home sawn veneer/ply. If successful, this will work out to be much cheaper than purchased ply and I will get (hopefully) 2 good surfaces. and I can put the good pieces with lots of flecking where I want them. I will keep the aprons and backsplash solid wood.
4. I am also substituting the leaded glass for wood-- I do not want my DVD cases to be on display but instead want them behind closed doors. I am leaning towards spalted maple, but am also considering leaving them as qswo panels
5. I am decreasing the number of side shelves to 1 (2 storage sections) and will put two in the center for balance
6. The back will be ply versus solid shiplapped pieces and I think I'm going to leave the back center (where the electronics will be) open for ventilation. This will leave the portion behind the drawers and the portion below (by the apron) for ply to add ridgidity

I'll make a couple of more adjustments due to the ply (I'm not sure about the tenons at this point, but I obviously won't have exposed MDF... I may add on false exposed tenons (I'm sure turning in his grave)

This project will definately stretch my abilities and want to thank everyone in advance for any advice/recommendations you have... I'll ask my first questions in a seperate post

I have purchased the pattern from fine woodworking and have to say that it is quite good-- it included the article from this month's mag, a cutlist/breakdown, a sketchup of the piece (very useful as I am adjusting the sketchup pattern to try different ideas and make my size adjustments.

Thanks for looking-- this should be fun.
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:21 pm 
Veteran

That looks like fun! Can't wait to see how it goes for you. 8)

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:50 pm 
Veteran

Looks like a fun project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:57 pm 
Veteran

This project will definately stretch my abilities

No it won't.

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:47 pm 
Veteran

DMoening wrote:
This project will definately stretch my abilities

No it won't.

;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence... I hope to live up to it.

I'd like to use this post as a kind of "ongoing post" as the project goes on. Today I did my rough cutting of my MDF substrate into 16x48 pieces (boy the festool makes cutting 3/4 MDF much less work... put some foamboard on the ground and let the MDF fall on it and then cut it with the circ and a guide- no lifting of 100lb+ pieces onto a saw or table) I then did my first veneer cutting (just because I couldn't wait....)

one piece is not shown as it is a hair thicker than the others and I didn't include it in the pic, but I ended up getting 10- 5/64 pieces out of a 5/4 piece of lumber... not too bad IMHO.

I squared the stock on the jointer, planer, and TS and then ran my first piece of veneer-- I then very lightly planed off any bs marks and cut the next piece and so on and so forth... In other words, I have 10 pieces of veneer that have one side already smoothed and the other with only light bandsaw marks.

These pieces are 5/64 in thickness and will end up being 1/16 after sanding a 64th off

I'll try gluing my veneer to the MDF as soon as my larger-sized vacum bag arrives from roarockit and I'll post more then. In the meantime I'll be doing 6 more flitches like this one.

Thanks for looking
Lawrence

Last edited by Lawrence on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:55 pm 
Veteran

Nice veneer! Did you cut it with a bandsaw? I wish I could do that. :confused:
Zulu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:33 pm 
Veteran

I ended up getting 10- 5/64 pieces out of a 5/4 piece of lumber

Wow, that's pretty impressive.

All that matching wood sure is going to look great!