WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:45 am 
Veteran

Well folks, I'm going to be making my own veneered MDF and would love any advice you have about me creating my own veneer.

The wood will be quarter sawn white oak-- in 5-6 inch widths and it is 5/4 in thickness

My widest final piece widths are going to be 15 inches wide and 47 inches long

The plan calls for 7/8 thick material for the sides and top and bottom. To accomplish this I can

1. glue up a 3/4 inch sheet of MDF and a 1/8 sheet of MDF and use 2- 1/16 pieces of veneer...or

2 Use a 3/4 inch sheet of MDF and 2-1/8 thick sheets of Veneer.

My main concer/question is this. Is this veneer too thick and which thickness do you recommend? I would like to have the surface thick enough that I can sand it without worrying about burning through the veneer?

Yesterday the store sold me a gallon of contact cement, but after some research I think I will take it back to the store and instead buy PPR (urea) glue to form hard seams. I am slightly concerned from my research that with thick veneer movement may be of concern (though less-so being that this is quarter sawn white oak) Does this sound like sound thinking?

I have a vacum bag that will accept sheets up to 14 inches wide--I have 2 options that I can think of

1. Make the veneer as wide as I need it to be (15 inches for some pieces) by using pressure/clamping to maintain pressure.

2. Make the veneer by gluing 2 sheets of veneer (10 inches wide) on MDF and putting it in the vacuum bag and one piece (5 inches wide) on another piece of MDF. After they have been vacuumed, I can edge glue the pieces--

3. If these things are not recommended I can buy a larger bag (roarockit sells a 36x52 bag) but I would rather not spend the $80... you guys know how much I hate to buy tools :roll:

I do have a pin nailer and have considered using 1/2 pins to help with attachment.... the pin holes are literally almost invisible

Any thoughts/suggestions/etc are definately appreciated....

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:15 am 
Veteran

I did quite a lot of research on this subject recently. JoeWoodworker http://www.joewoodworker.com/ has a great deal of info about your specific questions and also sells a specially formulated veneer glue you might want to take a look at.

PS: The PPR will likely leave a dark glue line so you should use a lightener with it on your oak. See JoeW above.

Last edited by Gene on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:21 am 
Veteran

The plan calls for 7/8 thick material for the sides and top and bottom.

Of what?

7/8" thick is way thick IMO.

Why not alter the plans to 3/4" thick material and be done with all the force fitting?

1/8" thick veneer is actually quite thick in the veneer world. Most is sold at about 3/32". In other words, it'll be just fine.

Scrape, instead of sand. And/or use a sanding block not a powered sander.
If you sand through an 1/8" of thickness you're being too heavy handed with any tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:45 am 
Veteran

thanks guys... I appreciate it. Joe's site was one that I did some research on last night....

As to the 7/8 material-- we have quite a bit of European arts and crafts type furniture in the house and LOML and both like the heavy sides look quite a bit (the computer cabinet I'm sitting at right now for example has full 1 inch thick sides) The heavy sides/top/bottom seem to "draw my eye inward" to the center parts of the pieces (I can't explain it any more than that... it just seems to work) This is the only reason I was leaning toward going thicker... as of now I'm leaning toward

3/4 MDF with
1/16 pieces on each side (to reduce creep)

This will give me the full 7/8 thick pieces I was looking to get. I'll also get more veneer out of my wood :)

Thanks- any additional advice from y'all or anyone else is very appreciated
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:48 pm 
Veteran

When the glue bleeds through, it's too thin. :D

If man made it, I can fix it.
If God made it we can pray for it.

Lessons I have learned:
NEVER MAKE ANYTHING OUT OF TEAK
Always remove the zero clearance insert before you tilt the blade DAMHIKT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:16 pm 
Veteran

Quote:
1. glue up a 3/4 inch sheet of MDF and a 1/8 sheet of MDF and use 2- 1/16 pieces of veneer...or

2 Use a 3/4 inch sheet of MDF and 2-1/8 thick sheets of Veneer.

What Dan said ... but .... 3/4 = 6/8 + 1/8 = 7/8 .... or did I miss something.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:26 pm 
Veteran

aah... late night math....

gotta love it :)

this is good actually-- it alleviates the need for the 1/8 mdf sheet and still allows me 1/16 sheets

Thanks all
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:27 pm 
Veteran

I'll also get more veneer out of my wood

A wise move.

Make the most of what we have. It is a more limited resource than we imagine; especially figured woods.

I believe that one of the lumberyards in my area has 7/8" MDF sheets ... it's been a while since I've checked. Ask around.

I understand how thickness plays into the style of the A/C movement. If this piece your building will not be standing next to others in your house I think you'll fine with the 3/4" + veneer thickness.

Oh and progress pictures!

:D