WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:24 pm 
Veteran

This is what I've been doing lately. I'm trying desperately to finish this up while other projects languish.

This telescope stand replaces a rickety aluminum tripod that had a way too complicated equatorial mount. This setup is much more steady, and is much easier to use.

I've turned the knob (Walnut) and feet (Black Locust) for this stand, as well as the plastic 1/4" thick x 14" bearing plate between the base and the stand body. That plastic bearing plate was a bugger. Think blue electrostatic plastic "hair" all over the place and you get the picture. I musta been pickin' that stuff off my jacket and jeans and floor for a coupla days...

The body components were all cut with a CNC router and designed in AlphaCAM. Later the roundover was put on with a hand router, then the edges filled and sanded. It's currently in the spray booth getting finish coat put on the raw sides of this 3/4" 1S birch plywood.

I still have to make some plastic bearings/washers for the telescope cradle, and turn some knobs for the telescope mount bolts, and the base pivot bolt.

It's almost finished. Just a couple more days...

Oh, and the acorn was carved on the CNC. It's there for the family who is to receive this stand. (Single mom with two kids- one of whose name reflects the acorn theme.)

And the last picture is the "prototype". While we were designing this in my office my friend spied these *reindeer cutouts in the floor and quipped, "hey here's our prototype, we don't need to design a new one". The family thought it was hilarious when I demonstrated it.

*My wife calls it the "dog deer" due to the funny shape. I'll have to redraw this thing to make it look more realistic. All I did was follow the original layout from some plans....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:52 pm 
Veteran

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you get out and do sidewalk astronomy with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:22 pm 
Veteran

Not yet. I just tried it out first time last night. I need to tweak it a bit before letting it loose on the kids...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:41 pm 
Veteran

well that is a fine job on a good looking project. The individual one-off pieces and parts really add as well.

Well done, I'm sure a big smile will reward you
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:30 am 
Veteran

VERY NICE!!!!! :shock: Functional and elegant - a much better mount than the one that came with the scope. Great work.

WWA-MICH-AUX #5
Official "Welcome Wagon" for the SEMIWW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:33 pm 
Veteran

Great looking mount. Looks like it'd be easy to work with, move and store without being complicated. Great Job! 8)

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:14 pm 
Veteran

This evening we delivered the stand and scope back to it's owners. We set up in a small field with several other telescopes, and wandered around the nebula in Orion, took a look at Mars, Sirius, and a double cluster between Casseopia and Perseus.

A good time was had by all, and the new owners of the stand were delighted with it. It is so much easier to use than a cheap equatorial mount....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:40 pm 
Veteran

That awesome! If you get a chance, go back and look at the Double Cluster between Cassiopeia and Perseus through binoculars and swing a little over towards Cassiopeia following the arcing line of stars to a big giant open cluster called Stock2. If you look closely you can see an Asterism in the shape of an Elephant. We have labeled that Chapman Elephant for the gentelman in our club that identified it.