WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: small AF plaque--
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:20 am 
Veteran

Well, one of my Airmen is leaving the AF on Monday and we are having her going away luncheon tomorrow. The unit booster club member in charge oopsied and neglected to do a going away gift so I was asked if there was any way I could do one (today)

Long story short, I COMPLETELY forgot about it (it was a loooong day) and then tonight at 7:30 while I was at my 8 year old's school singing concert I suddenly remembered... "oh shi.... shoot"

Concert ended 7:45.... home by 7:50
7:55 - tucked the kids in

8:00 - sat down at the computer and designed a quick plaque

8:10 - called LOML over for the design thumbs up and a spell check (don't ask why I do that but lets just say it is frustrating to do a carve and then realize you spelled "civilian" wrong on several...

8:15 - stepped to the shop and quickly face jointed, planed and edge jointed/ripped a 4 inch by 18 inch piece of red oak

8:30 - started carve

8:45 - carve completed, brass wire brushed out the engraving, cut the board to size (4 x 12) and chamfered the ends and sides and gave all a quick sand

9:00 - gave all a quick once over with shellac... brought inside to dry

9:15 - sat down at the dinner table with blue paint and a black paint pen and painted in the AF symbol and wrote in the letters with ink pen

9:45 - piece done... took a quick picture

I have to say, it was a really nice feeling to have the project come together so quickly and nicely.... I never actualy felt rushed as each step of the process is now a familiar one.... and Nancy will have a nice little memento to take with her... she's certainly earned it

Thanks for looking-- just wanted to share the story
Lawrence