WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Air Compressor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:25 pm 
Veteran

For the last 20 years I have had my woodworking shop in my basement. It has worked ok but the sanding dust is tough on the furnace filters. A couple years ago I sold my business and went to work for someone else. So now I have a 26X32 shop that I am going to turn into my woodworking shop.

When I built my shop I but it along side (about 8 feet) an old 3 stall garage that I had. I put my air compressor in the garage and ran a line to the shop. This way I did not have to listen to the noisy compressor. The line comes out of the 3 stall garage at the top and I just run it across to the shop about 8 feet in the air, and it has worked fine.

Last year I went out to see why I had no air and the piston and connecting rod for the compressor was laying about 4 feet away. Blew right out the side. It was an oil-less compressor.

This spring I will be looking for a new air compressor. Something on the order of this

http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/produc ... on-135-psi

My son and I were talking about why the compressor blew. He thinks it may have to do with it being in an unheated building. I live in North Dakota so it does get very cold in the garage. But I really want to put the new one back in the garage. Mostly for the noise problem but it will also free up some space.

My question to you guys is do you think this is a smart place to put it. I have done some searching online and most people (when presented with the question of how to quiet an air compressor) is to build a small shed outside the shop and put the compressor in the shed. The other option is to build an enclosure inside the shop and insulate it leaving enough vents for the intake and cooling.[/url]

No matter where you go, There you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:15 pm 
Veteran

I can't directly answer your question but the owners manual for this unit says all air lines should be protected from frost or freezing. In addition, the warranty does not cover "cold damage". There is no mention of specific operating temperatures but it seems like they want the unit to operate in an above-freezing temperature.

Don't know if that helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:32 pm 
Veteran

I had one in the atic of my garage/shop. No heat up there. It was there about 15 years with no problems. It did have oil in it.

I now have a 3hp 60 gal upright I got from HD with oil in a shed off my shop. again no heat. Sound a little slow when it starts up in the cold though.

My thinking is if it lasts 20 years that will be a good and I'll just buy another. Rather not listen to it when it's running.

If man made it, I can fix it.
If God made it we can pray for it.

Lessons I have learned:
NEVER MAKE ANYTHING OUT OF TEAK
Always remove the zero clearance insert before you tilt the blade DAMHIKT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:41 pm 
Veteran

It could be that nothing lasts forever. A 20 year old air compresser (especially an oil less one) can wear out sooner or later.
That said, I can see it quiting from wear but, blowing a piston out the side is another question.
I had a customer once who had bought a new compressor and used it for 3 years and one day, just as he was walking out the door, the tank blew apart and damaged a car that he was working on. Yea, the shrapnel missed him but, he still has shell shock to this day.
Poo poo occurs!

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:14 pm 
Veteran

Thanks for the replies.

The garage I had the old compressor in had a leaky roof so I imagine moisture was also a factor. I put a new roof on last summer so that should help.

I was thinking about an enclosure in the garage. I would only need the enclosure in the winter so I could put a door on it. In the winter I could put a light bulb in the enclosure to keep it above freezing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:08 pm 
Veteran

an enclosure in the workspace would certainly be better than an uninsulated outdoor enclosure. Although a regular ol' Light bulb i dont think will cut it you may need a heat lamp of sort for an enclosure that will be probably 3-4' square.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:36 pm 
Veteran

I have given this great thought. I think I have you answer. It is simple.
Deer! Thats right Deer! It's them dang Big Deer in North Dakota. :D Give me a call and set me up and I will come there and Git Rid of them dang Big Deer. They obviously are sabatoging your equipment. :D Man I hate when they do that. :D Yeah and maybe the elk are in on it too. I'll take care of them too. :D

Bob D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:41 pm 
Veteran

Robertd wrote:
I have given this great thought. I think I have you answer. It is simple.
Deer! Thats right Deer! It's them dang Big Deer in North Dakota. :D Give me a call and set me up and I will come there and Git Rid of them dang Big Deer. They obviously are sabatoging your equipment. :D Man I hate when they do that. :D Yeah and maybe the elk are in on it too. I'll take care of them too. :D

Bob D

I live in a small town (about 700 people) and we do have deer in town :shock: Last year after a long day of hunting in which we didn't see a whole lot of bucks, I almost hit a nice 4X4 with my pickup not 3 blocks from my house.:mad:

If you can snag an out-of-state tag, you are more than welcome! :)