WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SketchUp
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:02 pm 
Veteran

I build a lot of projects using plans from woodworking magazines. I also build a lot of projects from scratch. To build a duplicate from scratch project I usually have to start over because all the drawings, sketchs, etc, that I used are long gone. Would like very much to have complete plans of those projects.

Little over a year ago I started trying to learn SketchUp. I even went to a woodworking show in Chicago because they were having hands on SketchUp training. Was helpful and I've learned enough to sketch picture of projects but didn't get enough time with those people. Didn't learn enough to manage componets, show joints, etc.

So I was wondering if anyone else had an interest in learning more about SketchUp. Maybe a group of us could arrange for a SketchUp expert to provide training for a Day or two. Maybe meet at a central location and pay an expert $100 bucks ea (enough to make it worth their time). I'd be willing to travel a few hundred miles.

Maybe someone reading this post is an expert?

So give me a shout if anyone is interested.

AG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:08 pm 
Veteran

Its a great idea, and if I was within shooting distance from you I would be in on it.

I just upgraded computers and now my beloved Vectorworks 11 is no longer supported on the new(ish) mac. I have been contemplating learning sketchup, but with no great result so far (some times the wishful osmosis version of learning is less then successful!)

Good luck with it, and hopefully more will chime in with more useful comments.
If we got enough interested in sketchup maybe we could start a new board on here.

Cheers,
eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:39 pm 
Veteran

I tried Sketchup, but I get too frustrated with it and other CAD pgms. I learned drafting on a board many years ago, and still prefer the old fashioned way. I guess I'm just too old to change now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:37 pm 
Veteran

What Gene Said

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:36 pm 
Veteran

If you do a google search on Sketchup Tutorials, you should have more than enough info to get you going. YouTube is also a good source. That is how I learned. I am no expert at Sketchup, but I can make my own woodworking plans with dimensions on it.

No matter where you go, There you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:54 pm 
Veteran

I highly recommend the two DVD's below:

http://www.amazon.com/Google-SketchUp-L ... YSXYPVSEA3

http://www.amazon.com/Google-SketchUp-L ... YSXYPVSEA3

Much better than a textbook, or in my opinion, a class, because you'll always have it as a reference for future use....

Just my .02....

Skyrider

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:13 pm 
Veteran

Ag, sounds like a good idea.

I tried the software and gave up.

I had a drafting table in the shop until I needed the room.
Now I sit at the kitchen table and draw up my plans.

There will be a couple of classes at a Woodworking school in
Washington state in May 2010.

WWASCAUX#1/WWAMDAUX#11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:45 am 
Veteran

I like the idea of a get-together though I won't be able to make it... I'd like to second hejik as to the usefulness of the online tuts... I have really had fun with sketchup and there are TONS of free videos/tuts online

Good luck with your get-together- wish I could come
Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:36 am 
Veteran

AG and Dennis,
GO FOR IT!

and good luck too!

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:09 pm 
Veteran

I tried it also and gave up. I like to draw on paper. That is how I learned in school many years ago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:10 am 
Veteran

one of the things I like about sketchup is the ability to quickly make changes and show the changes to a potential customer.... with my laptop I was able to show the following to my Chief and then he could give input and then within 20 seconds or so I could show him different sized frames, how the frames could be spaced differently, etc etc.

another advantage was that I did not have to do the math for figuring out the spacing as it was automatically figured out by the computer for me... less math means more time actually cutting wood... and the customer got EXACTLY what they wanted.

Here are the free tutorials I used when I started out (I'm still very much a beginner)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPHcnIJhcT0

if you watch the video, you can see the rest by looking to the right at the other tuts available... very easy to understand, follow along, and it is done with the woodworker in mind (and it's free!)

Lawrence

ps- here's the link to all of the "sketchup for woodworkers" videos
http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:40 am 
Veteran

As others have suggested, watch some tutorials. Sketchup is a very different kind of program than more traditional CAD systems like AutoCAD. It has it's own "mindset". Unless you start to grok that view, Sketchup will be a struggle. Once you start to mesh with that view (and as I suggested, it's not at all like AutoCAD's view, which is just to make an electronic drafting board), it will be a lot easier to use. If you insist on using it like an electronic version of a drafting board, it will always be a battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:41 am 
Veteran

I'm not doing anything right now with SketchUp. Been busy with the bed. Last time I was fooling with it I was trying to make componets and groups. I can make each but can not get those to save in model.

Of course that's only one problem I was having and probably won't remember all the problems unless I start working on another project in SketchUp.

I'm including a SketchUp project I built. You may recognize it as the
Dresser I posted. Got the drawing and outside measurements but wasn't able to do it in componets and explode form showing all joints, etc.

Well having trouble getting the image from computer to photobucket. maybe will send e-mail. Let me know if you get. :confused:

AG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:14 am 
Veteran

agriffee wrote:
I'm not doing anything right now with SketchUp. Been busy with the bed. Last time I was fooling with it I was trying to make componets and groups. I can make each but can not get those to save in model.

Of course that's only one problem I was having and probably won't remember all the problems unless I start working on another project in SketchUp.

I'm including a SketchUp project I built. You may recognize it as the
Dresser I posted. Got the drawing and outside measurements but wasn't able to do it in componets and explode form showing all joints, etc.

Well having trouble getting the image from computer to photobucket. maybe will send e-mail. Let me know if you get. :confused:

AG

Sketchup saves a image in it's own format (*.skp ) which is likely the problem. A easy alternative is to capture a screen shot using the Windows "Snipping Tool", which is included in the "Accessories" folder in Windows Vista (Start, All Programs, Accessories ). It will permit you to capture the entire screen, a selected area, etc., and save it as a *.jpg image. Very useful for things like this, and I keep a shortcut for it on the desktop.

If you're not using Vista, there are other free screen capture utilities available from CNET, etc. that do the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:52 am 
Veteran

Or he can go to File....Export...2d Graphic to get a jpeg of the current view. Save that to the computer then upload to photobucket.

I've done that many a time:

etc.

I happened to be reading the Fine Woodworking Blog on Sketchup when I first opened this thread: http://www.finewoodworking.com//blog/design-click-build

Lots of good examples there, but probably for slightly more experienced users.

-Brian

Post subject: SketchUp Drawing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:25 pm 
Veteran

This is the drawing I worked from building Ashley's dresser. Made componets and groups but could not find in model later. Wanted to show all joints in exploded view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:36 pm 
Veteran

I recently changed to an iMAC. What a difference!

I grew up using a drafting board also. I have been using TurboCAD for years and decided to get get the mac version. Well it was a disapointment. It is more like a sketching tool than a CAD program. I have tried several other packages and was not to thrilled with any of them. The best I have come across that I like is HighDesign. It is more of a CAd tool.

I tried Sketchup but that is not what I wanted either. I guess I am just picky. I could set the mac up to run windows programs but I am resisting that also.

Right now it is pencil and paper. One of these days I will bit the bullet and get a software package again.