WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:00 pm 
Veteran

I used non mortise hinges on a chest cabinet and the doors bind. I did mortise the door side of hinges anyway. Is that the reason doors don't want to close completely/ want to push back open?

Wanted to include a photo but can't figure out how to do that. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

Only have the picture in computer photo gallery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:44 pm 
Veteran

Number of reasons for hinge problems. Probably the most common is not having the pins perfectly aligned with each other.

Pics. You need to upload them first to a server. Either the one provided here (Gallery link ) or on another such as Photobucket. Once that is done then the url for the pic can be included in a post with the appropriate Img tags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:42 pm 
Veteran

You are in a bind, and so are the hinges. :D

Roger

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject: adding pics
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:21 pm 
Veteran

Gene I hate to be so dense but how do I get pics to gallery?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:11 pm 
Veteran

Btw, welcome aboard. :) I'll try to step you thru the process. Assuming you're logged in:

1. At the top of the page you'll see "Visit the Image Gallery" - Click it.

2. On the page the comes up Click on "Upload File"

3. You'll see several blanks with a "Browse" button beside each. Clicking one will open a window where you can select the file you want to upload.

4. Click "Continue". When it replys that the upload was succesful click continue again.

5. The next screen contains various information. You MUST give your upload a new file name where indicated. The other info is optional.

6. Click Continue and you'll get this message: "The previous file was placed successfully.

You have successfully placed all the files."

Your done.

7. To view the files in your Gallery Click "My Gallery" . There you can edit, delete, etc. You can access your Gallery from any page by clicking on "Visit the Image Gallery" at the top.

Part 2:

1. To embed a image in a post from your Gallery, simply click on the "Options Insert Photos" link at the lower left of the screen when you are posting, select the image you want and click once on it. Make sure you put a space between the image url and any preceding or following text or urls.

Hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or problems one of the mods or other members can also help you.

With all that said, try to avoid super large pics. I keep mine below 1024, usually 800, which makes it easier on everyone. We still have people on dial up. :)

If you decide to use a hosting service such as Photobucket the process is somewhat different, but does have the advantage of giving you considerably more disk space for storage. This server is pretty limited in available space for images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:44 am 
Veteran

Hey, agriffee! Welcome home! We've been waiting for you!

I'm sure most of your problem is from motrising the hinge. Another problem that I often have is the heads of the screws being proud (sticking out past) of the face of the hinge. To cure this, the obvious is to use smaller screws. But, a lot of the time that won't work. I just use a countersink bit and drill into the screw hole to make it a little bigger.

Uncle Fester WWAMDAUX#3
La Plata, Maryland
Does Anyone Have A Comb?
Home Of A Beautiful DJ 20
I Say.... BUY DELTA!!
10,000 posts--Easter Sunday, 2008--7:43pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 am 
Veteran

Welcome!

This first thing that came to my mind is that your screw heads are protruding a little bit . . . and thus hitting each other when the hinge is closed.

I had this problem when I put new interior doors in my house years ago. I didn't use a self centering drill bit, so my screws didn't always go in straight. Just that little part of the screw head sticking out caused the door to bounce back or resist being closed completely.

-Brian

edit: Uh, yeah . . . what Larry said. I didn't see his post for some reason :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:15 pm 
Veteran

Welcome to the group! Happy to have you aboard.

It sounds to me like either your mortices are not flat, or the hinges may be out of alignment. If the hinges are not dead on the same center line, they'll bind. I've had that problem myself. You might try loosening the screws just a little to allow one of the hinges a little play to see how it moves with relation to the other hinge. You can then either shim it or redrill the pilot holes for the screws.

As for picture posting, I really like Photobucket. It's a site where you can post your pics, then link them here or any other site by copy/pasting the IMG link from Photobuckets site to your message. It works great and is FREE!

Again, great to have you aboard and I look forward to seeing your work. 8)

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject: Hinges binding
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:46 pm 
Veteran

Thanks to Gene,DennisS,Larry Norton,Ytsejamr,Ice Pirate,Rapid Roger for your info. I will probably need to glue a piece in mortise and then cut doors down in width. Was trying to keep the gap narrow on door sides.

When I follow Gene's direction after clicking on upload what I see is (sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files .) So no progress on loading pics. Whenever I figure out how to include pics you will see my cabinet. Maybe I'll load a pic of myself.

Post subject: pics
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:57 pm 
Veteran

Ice Pirate wrote:
Welcome to the group! Happy to have you aboard.

It sounds to me like either your mortices are not flat, or the hinges may be out of alignment. If the hinges are not dead on the same center line, they'll bind. I've had that problem myself. You might try loosening the screws just a little to allow one of the hinges a little play to see how it moves with relation to the other hinge. You can then either shim it or redrill the pilot holes for the screws.

As for picture posting, I really like Photobucket. It's a site where you can post your pics, then link them here or any other site by copy/pasting the IMG link from Photobuckets site to your message. It works great and is FREE!

Again, great to have you aboard and I look forward to seeing your work. 8)
OK Frank! one more time!If I can get these in I'll describe later. We will see if there.[code][/code]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:30 pm 
Veteran

I have tried everything you guys suggested. I'm doing something wrong, don' know what. Gonna try once more then giving up for today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:35 am 
Veteran

It's the Chest. The piece with two doors and three drawers under.
Wow, you must really get started early!