WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:59 pm 
Veteran

Duane will be traveling several times again from Iowa to Indiana to hunt.
The other years we had roadside assistance with our truck warranty.
The choices that I have are

Triple A Plus RV (it will cover our trike too) or
AARP Roadside Premier (no trike) AARP is now with Allstate

AARP seems to be about 1/2 the cost, about 71.00, for what seems to be about the same coverage (except trike)

However I know nothing about the reliability of getting EITHER one of them to show up.

Anyone have experience or have either one?

We need to get going cause he leaves in two weeks.

For those that don't know he has tons of heart issues which would make something as simple as a flat a major ordeal, He doesn't need the stress either, so looking for peace of mind reliablity with this.

Thanks
Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:17 pm 
Veteran

We have Triple A and have used it on a couple of occasions. No problems with them.

Shun those studies in which the work that results dies with the worker.
-- Leonardo da Vinci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:05 pm 
Veteran

I have used the service I got from my cell phone carrier. Cheap, under
$3 a month and provided good service.

Bill

If a man speaks in the forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?

I'm in shape, round is a shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:50 pm 
Veteran

Double check that you don't already have it through a credit card (or it isn't available) Ours comes standard for rentals and at a very very minimum cost for our own vehicles. Another option is through your insurance company... sometimes more expensive, sometimes less.

Good luck, I've had no problems with AAA in the past when I've used it. The last time I did they called an outside agency (local) garage to come out and it worked just fine, but if I'd had another agency it could have very well been the same truck that got called out :)

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:38 pm 
Veteran

Vicki,
You should be able to get it through your auto insurance. I think that would be your best option. AAA is ok, but they take way too long, to show up.
Trisha

~First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, & a chance to start fresh again-JSM
~Welcome to all new members! & welcome back to the others!
~He is most powerful who has power over himself - Seneca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:43 am 
AdminDude

Just don't break down!

Next question :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:35 am 
Veteran

Our insurance only covers 50.00 and that isn't going to get you far. Nothing on our cell phone. The only thing on our credit card it car rental that I see.

I'll have to decide soon :shock:

Thanks
Vic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:44 am 
Veteran

Hi Vicki,

I certainly understand the desire for peace of mind and that may dominate the decision.

From a financial perspective, my recommendation is to self-insure for non-catastrophic expenses.

Self-insuring is always the cheapest option. Usually emotions dominate in insurance buying decisions because you are buying the peace of mind you mention below. However, insurance companies have to make money in the transaction. For them to sell you $1000 of services, they have to charge more than $1000 to cover their administrative expenses and required profit margin. In one way it is like Vegas. The house always wins.

It is certainly understandable to pay for peace of mind and from that perspective I think you are on the right path. Alstate has some roadside assistance as a part of my policy so that was going to be my recommendation. However, I always carry a can of fix-a-flat with me and have never used the road side assistance, so I don't know what is or is not covered.

Good luck!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:09 pm 
Veteran

Hey Vicki,

I was thinking of you. I went out to the car and it looked like the tire was half flat. :shock: It reminded me of your concern.

Fortunately, it was quickly fixed by a little extra air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:04 pm 
Veteran

I understand your concern with Duane's health problems, but I agree with Rockfish. I used to have AAA but with the dependability of today's cars, and tires also, I found I never used it. A cell phone and a credit card should take care of what ever comes along.

No matter where you go, There you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:03 am 
AdminMama

A bit late with my two cents........

From the female point of view, I feel safe with AAA. I know that a AAA certified "technician" will show up, one who wants to keep the AAA reputation with his/her business. I know that AAA will be visible on the vehicle, so that I don't have to worry about exactly which company I will be dealing with. In this day and age, it's important to me to know that I am calling a reputable company, one that I hope to feel physically safe to deal with.

I know that I may not use their services this year, or next, but that when I do need them, they are but a phone call away.

I've driven quite a few hundreds of thousands of miles in my adult life, have seen a lot on the roads, and it's nice to know that AAA remains constant.

I've used AAA for a dead battery (left my lights on the night before knee surgery and didn't use that vehicle for three weeks!!!), to tow my sister's car to my car dealer when it died (the membership goes with the member, not just the member's vehicle), a flat tire (it's hard to lower a truck tire on the side of an interstate--at least for me), and offered to have AAA unlock my supervisor's truck when he locked the keys in it :oops: .

I also keep my On-Star yearly membership up to date. While both memberships may seem excessive to some, once again, I do drive a lot of miles daily, by myself. They're insurance policies to me that are there if I need them.

Just my two cents

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:41 am 
Veteran

There is a lot to be said for an 800 number to call from anywhere. Seems like it would be difficult to find a good service station while out in the country.

We have AAA, never used it but my wife would be stranded without it if anything happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:25 pm 
Veteran

Verna - I certainly understand your perspective, and I appreciate why people buy AAA and such products. You are exchanging money for a sense of security, and it is up to every individual to decide what is worth money to them. I was just presenting the financial perspective. The emotional perspective is a different domain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:20 pm 
AdminMama

Rockfish:

Oh, by all means, I wasn't arguing with you!!!! If I came across as argumentative, please accept my apologies!!!!

With all of the great, and diverse views presented here, we have given Vicki different ways to view the subject.

And, yes, emotions, and physical strength, do play a large part in my decision :wink:

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:00 pm 
Veteran

PoolQ wrote:
There is a lot to be said for an 800 number to call from anywhere. Seems like it would be difficult to find a good service station while out in the country.

That is exactly what I am thinking, an 800 number to call.

We are used to traveling in rural Iowa, where if you have trouble, usually someone will stop.

Duane traveling across 3 states on busy interstate taxes his nerves enough.

AAA is only about 130.00 I think so it will probably be cheap insurance.

Rockfish, I know what you are saying but it is more the security of having someone to call than the cost .

Thanks folks sounds like I need to call AAA.

Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:57 pm 
Veteran

I almost hate to bring it up, but I've always understood that AARP supports and funds anti-gun organizations. So I would think a hunter wouldn't want to support them... I know I never will. We've had AAA on my wife's car for a few years and been happy with their service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:42 pm 
Veteran

Vicki - makes total sense. :)

Verna - didn't take it as arguing. No offense taken. Just trying to separate the issues. :)