WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:10 pm 
Veteran

Well I think I finally figured out how to get a picture from my camera on to the new computer. I have to move the picture from the camera top the old computer, burn it on to a disc and then put the disc into the new computer. For some reason the new computer will not down load from the camera and after I have the camera hooked to the new computer the camera will down load to the old computer but it will not put the pictures into the pictures file, where it puts them is beyond me.I had to remove the batteries from the camera and put them back in again to get the camera/computer connection to work again. Here I hope is some pictures of my "repair" to my wood lathe tail stock. Since I do not have a thread dial on my metal lathe I could not chase the threads to make a new threaded rod to replace the striped out one. I bought a 5/8-8 acme threaded rod and a Acme threaded bearing bronze nut. I bored out the barrel and fastened in the bronze nut with JB weld. I turned down one end of the treaded acme rod to the root diameter of the retaining ring, placed a thin bushing up against the acme thread so I would have a smooth surface ,put on two retaining rings for greater strength, a thin duralaun "washer for smooth contact, and then a sleave to bring the shaft back to desired O.D., holding the sleave in place with JB weld. Since the acme thread has a smaller root diameter than the old 18 thread/inch thread I had to reduce the hole for the "knock out rod from 3/8 to 5/16th to keep wall thickness,The tail stock assembly works very smoothly and should last far longer than the original. Over all I am happy that they did not have replacement parts for the lathe , since I believe my repair is both stronger and smoother that the original And cost less than 1/3 of what the replacement parts would have cost if they would have had them. I added a larger "flat spot" for the set screw that holds the feed wheel on for greater strength. Once the graphite embedded grease got worked into the threads it is really smooth operating.

Attachments:
threaded rod.jpg
threaded rod.jpg [ 72.27 KiB | Viewed 4223 times ]
lathe  barrel5.jpg
lathe barrel5.jpg [ 74.58 KiB | Viewed 4223 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:53 pm 
Veteran

Don,
Can't you email yourself the pictures on your phone? Email them to yourself and just save them.
That's what I do.
Zulu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:58 pm 
Veteran

I do not have a smart phone.