WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:57 pm 
AdminDude

Hey Bud

Have your received any contracts to do work for the up and coming museum and town renovations?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:52 am 
Veteran

Mango,
I have not received any further work from the Alamo.
I was there about a month ago. I had heard that my big carriage was no longer on display and tried to find out why.
No one knew where it was but one of the Alamo Rangers (Law Enforcement) went inside and got an email address for me to contact the new person in charge.
I sent an email but got no response so I sent another one about a week later.
This time it was responded to with one sentence.

"It was rotting so we removed it".

Well, it was only sitting there for 2 1/2 years. Apparently, none of the proper maintenance that I advised was performed.
I did not see any pictures of it. I hope it is being restored. It was really expensive for them.

They have several other cannons on display there. I looked them over and all are in need of maintenance. I suspect they will suffer the same fate if not cared for.

My carriage was made of oak and painted. When I delivered it, I was asked how it would stand up to weather. I told the Conservator that it was made of wood and iron. The iron will rust and the wood will deteriorate if not routinely cared for. To give her a better picture, I told her to imagine her dining room table sitting in the back yard for a year. What did she think it would look like? We all know it wouldn't look good if neglected.

The cannon barrel is on display indoors. Maybe it will be reunited with the carriage in the new building.

Zulu

My build thread on the carriage now has over 64,000 views. It is still steadily climbing.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34272

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:54 pm 
Veteran

Zulu wrote:
Mango,
I have not received any further work from the Alamo.
I was there about a month ago. I had heard that my big carriage was no longer on display and tried to find out why.
No one knew where it was but one of the Alamo Rangers (Law Enforcement) went inside and got an email address for me to contact the new person in charge.
I sent an email but got no response so I sent another one about a week later.
This time it was responded to with one sentence.

"It was rotting so we removed it".

Well, it was only sitting there for 2 1/2 years. Apparently, none of the proper maintenance that I advised was performed.
I did not see any pictures of it. I hope it is being restored. It was really expensive for them.

They have several other cannons on display there. I looked them over and all are in need of maintenance. I suspect they will suffer the same fate if not cared for.

My carriage was made of oak and painted. When I delivered it, I was asked how it would stand up to weather. I told the Conservator that it was made of wood and iron. The iron will rust and the wood will deteriorate if not routinely cared for. To give her a better picture, I told her to imagine her dining room table sitting in the back yard for a year. What did she think it would look like? We all know it wouldn't look good if neglected.

Zulu

Mother Nature has no patience with, or sympathy for, foolish humans.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:02 pm 
Veteran

That is so sad, no reason for them to not maintain there stuff as it has so much history attached to it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:06 pm 
Veteran

I know how you must feel. I have had some of the items I made just left out in the weather to return to nature. While they are not as impressive as your work they still represented a lot of time and effort.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:41 pm 
Veteran

Call me a old softy but this post just about broke my heart