WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: no more rattle
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:57 pm 
Veteran

About ten years ago I ran some base board for my nephew and he was helping me and tried to run a piece trough the drum sander that was too thick and stalled it. I had to make a new coupling that connected the small motor to the feed belt. The sander then had a rattle that went away when the sander was under load. I checked the bearings several times but could not find the source of the rattle. Yesterday the pully on the back roller flew off!. I was lucky to find the left hand thread metric bolt that holds it on. But now I have to put a sleeve in the pully. I can;t just order a new one since the shaft on the roller is worn undersized from the pully being loose. To make matters worse I just got my monthly shot in the eye and can't see for a few days. So it is a matter of waiting until I can see and get a piece of steel to make the sleeve out of.

Post subject: Re: no more rattle
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:49 pm 
Veteran

I am up and running again. I made a sleave to fit the shaft since it was worn down more than the pully, I made a key out of wood that was .002 undersized wrapped it with saran wrap , placed it against the solid edge of the key slot and filled the worn gap side with J B weld, 12 hours later I removed the wooden key and filed the J B weld smooth, I then placed the sleave on the shaft and checked for alinement of the key way. It alined well so I removed the sleave put a thin coat of CA glue on the shaft and replaced the sleave clamping it in place . After the glue had set I honed out the pully until I had a tight fit and bolted it in place.I now have no rattle If it lasts another twenty years I'll be happy.

Post subject: Re: no more rattle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:23 am 
Veteran

thats great you found and solved the problem. Funny how things always happen in the middle of a project. One time I was using a edge router to route in the grooves for drawer bottoms. I was using the fence that came with it. then after about 6 bottoms routed out perfect, things started going south. Everything came loose the fence, the locking device, the router bit all at the same time. I couldnt friggin believe it. So now when I do that after every 5 or 6 grooves. Ill stop and check to make sure everything is still tight.

I guess stuff happens, maybe tool gremlins really do exist :-D