WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: gremlins at work
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:37 pm 
Veteran

Well the gremlins have struck again. Due to severe storms we lost electric electric. When I hooked up the generator the well pump worked as usual. The well runs off the garage electric since we lived in the garage for five years while we built the house. The main line from the garage to the house worked as usual so we ran the freezer and the refrigerator which worked as usual for two hours.Then four hours later we restarted the generator. The well worked but the main line from the garage to the house would not carry electric. We had to take the generator over to the house and run the freezer with an extension cord. Now that the electric is back on, the main line from the garage to the house once again carries electric. For over thirty five years the main line from the house to the garage worked for the generator. The first time I hooked it up it worked. But the second time I started the generator it would not carry electric.All connections were the same using the breakers in the main boxes to shut things off and on. Why the line would not carry electric the second time has to be because of gremlins!

rater

Post subject: Re: gremlins at work
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:46 am 
Veteran

Is there a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) in that circuit? More than once I thought of the GFCI after much checking of everything else.
I have been fighting with replacing a toilet, the old one leaked, ruined the flooring, worst instructions I have I have ever seen. I hate plumbing, nothing really fits, and something all ways leaks.
Norm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:57 pm 
Veteran

No GFI we wired the garage and house in the early 80's and they did not have them then. All connections / disconnections were done by flipping breakers.Several of the surge protectors on the electronics in the house were burned out and we had to replace them. As the old saying goes: "When all possible reasons have been eliminated the only reason left is the impossible "

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:58 pm 
Veteran

No GFI, we wired the garage and house in the early 80's and they did not have them then. All connections / disconnections were done by flipping breakers.Several of the surge protectors on the electronics in the house were burned out and we had to replace them. As the old saying goes: "When all possible reasons have been eliminated the only reason left is the impossible "

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:01 pm 
Veteran

Circuit breakers do wear out. Did you borrow a breaker from a circuit that works and put it on the circuit that does not? My wild guess. But you said it worked when the power came back on??? Strange.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:34 pm 
Veteran

carn Gremlins, theyve been busy here to. I bought this house new been in it for about 2 1/2-3 years. Last year Aug the Main A/C quit getting cold. So called to people who installed it they came looked at it and found what failed and replaced it. So Wensday guess what same thing happened. Called them they came out, same part went bad again. Since it was the same part it was replaced on warranty.

Still go get why te same part keeps failing and its only on the larger unit not the smaller one. The tech said maybe to heat as this one gets direct Sunlight no shade. So my next project will be to build some sort of sun shade for it.

Hopefully that will solve the problem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:32 am 
AdminDude

You said noting about a crossover switch. your generator and utility went through the house simultaneously :confused: not good if true?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:32 pm 
Veteran

I have a main disconnect breaker/ switch right where the electric comes into the garage since I have a 200 amp box in both the house and garage, but only a 200 amp infeed. This allows me to shut off both from the main line before I hook in the generator.