WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:35 pm 
Veteran

Two years ago my rail road tie retaining wall had "slid down". My grandson and I dug it out by hand since there were electric lines ,sewer lines, and drain lines under and behind it. Then we replaced it with the large preformed cement blocks, added new side walks and a loading dock. We also added 41 feet of new side walk in front of the house. We had an estimate of $7000 dollars, We did it our selves and used four times as much gravel for drainage, added new drain lines the sidewalk and fifteen tons of limestone to retop the drive for Three thousand.We poured six inch re-enforced side walks and redid the steps. Then the wife planted the new flower beds.Now two years later the results are showing.Doing it your self really saves money and gives you complete control over the job. We had a problem getting the first row level so I used some steel strips from my forging to lay out "train tracks" to set the first row on. before every time we tried to position the blocks they would dig into the gravel and go out of level.We had constant supervision and inspecting.Unfortunately the pictures of the construction are to detailed to post so I cann't post the pictures in process or of the kitten who was constantly walking through.

Attachments:
retaing wall 7.jpg
retaing wall 7.jpg [ 103.95 KiB | Viewed 2085 times ]
retaing wall 8.jpg
retaing wall 8.jpg [ 104.25 KiB | Viewed 2085 times ]