WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:47 pm 
Veteran

After many many years of "junk yard farming" I bought a new tractor and mower. (See: my mower is bigger than your mower). The new mower needed the blades sharpened as the "cutting edge" on them was over 1/8 inch thick. To take them off was a real challenge, the "access panel" was just big enough to get a socket on the castle nut but no room to straighten and remove the cotter pin. I had to use a die grinder to cut the looped end off and then pull the cotter pin pieces out the bent end with a magnet.As soon as I get a piece of steel the right size for a new cover I am going to cut a larger access panel. After removing and sharpening and remounting the blades,and greasing the bolts well. I learned over sixty years ago when putting bolts on farm equipment to grease the threads so that they don't rust. I discovered the three point hitch would not lower from the top position that the tractor was in when they delivered it. After two days on the phone to the dealer they sent out a repair man who sprayed kroil on the linkage and then used a two foot pry bar to move the lever to get it to lower. He said that often happens with that model if it sits out very long on the lot, just keep spraying oil on it!
I have come to expect to have to sharpen blades on new mowers of all sizes, but I would have never considered putting a two foot pry bar on the lever to move it on a new tractor. Once the mower was sharpened and lowered it,I took it into the pasture and it did a real nice job of cutting the tall grass and the four wheel drive went right through the wet spots, that I usually would have to wait until September to get mowed. Now all I have to do is to cut the top of the storage building door about four inches taller to get it into the building with out folding down the roll bar.So for right now the tractor is in the barn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:51 pm 
Veteran

Brand???? PICS!!!!!!!! hp. other attachments? never mind, :roll: :oops: saws the pic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:55 pm 
Veteran

good deal, I may be picking yer brain about tractors whether to buy or rent and accessories etc...