WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: items made from scraps
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:23 am 
Veteran

I found a supply of maple cutoff scraps from a cabinet shop. It costs me a gallon of cider for each truck load.So I made a few items from the fire wood scraps. The flag case, and table were made from some of the larger pieces. The mugs, candle box . and serving tray&lazy susan were made from smaller pieces.As they say one mans scrap is another mans treasure.The end grain cutting board with curly maple sides was made from a quanity of two inch long end trimmings and four long pieces of curly maple. If the maple is curly it tends to chip if their tooling is dull, so I sometimes longer pieces of curly maple in the scraps.As an added benefit my wood shed is not empting near as fast as usual since most of the truck loads are really scraps. The serving trays will hold either glass dishes ( salvaged years ago because of small chips which could be removed with buffing compound) or the lazy susans.I don't have any idea why the comments end up on different pictures or the order of the pictures keep switching around!The mugs in the first picture( at least it was once the first picture ) are made from fie wood.

Attachments:
serv glass.jpg
serv glass.jpg [ 88.35 KiB | Viewed 1138 times ]
File comment: end grain cutting board with curly maple sides
scrap 001.jpg
scrap 001.jpg [ 74.28 KiB | Viewed 1140 times ]
File comment: lazy susan
scrap 004.jpg
scrap 004.jpg [ 73.18 KiB | Viewed 1140 times ]
File comment: lazy susan in tray
scrap 003.jpg
scrap 003.jpg [ 70.65 KiB | Viewed 1140 times ]
File comment: tray for glass dishes or lazy susan,
scrap 005.jpg
scrap 005.jpg [ 69.39 KiB | Viewed 1140 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:19 pm 
Veteran

Those are really nice, I wish I had the talent to make things that nice and delicate . Especially the cups Wow those are really nice.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:49 pm 
Veteran

It would take me a really long time to accomplish that kind of work.
Tell us more about the cups.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:12 pm 
Veteran

I make the cups by gluing up a blank, solid bottom pieces 1 inch long 1& 1/2 square, 8 inch long 1 inch side pieces all around then a center piece in the top. I then mount the blank on a faceplate, turn the O.D with a live center, install a steady rest. Remove the center, cut off the top section and drill out the center by steps with fostner bits. Finish sand the outside and inside. I make the handles and fit them to the O.D by sanding the arc roughly on the drum of my belt sander. Then finish the fit by hand sanding over a piece turned to slightly under the O.D and wrapped with sand paper. I then glue the handle in place with thick super glue. I finish the mugs with two coats of thin super glue to seal and strengthen the wood. Final finish is two or more coats of nitro cellulose lacquar. It sounds like a lot of work but once you get the process down it moves along nicely. I used to use solid chunks of wood with antler handles to make my mugs. But this method allows me to make four in the time I used to make one.

Attachments:
File comment: antler handled mugs made from solid block
box 005.jpg
box 005.jpg [ 68.99 KiB | Viewed 1114 times ]