WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:20 pm 
Veteran

innovative way to deal with the various sanding disks.

Keep going I am collecting ideas.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:24 pm 
Veteran

Heres today exciting update

well I put a top on the cabinets for the miter station along with the fence.

Nothing is set permanently bc it all has to be removed when I get the shop insulated.

Screwed some 2x4s to the studs to hang my clamps. I think thats where Ill keep them. Ill make a decent clamp rack once everything is set up premenantly .

Youll notice the back of the fence is raised a bit thats because theres a tape measure at the end of the fence (by design).

Once I extend the fence out (it will extend out quite a bit both sides of the saw) the fence will be flat bc the tape will be off the top on both sides. One photo I took so you can see the tape

Attachments:
File comment: photo of the fence from the top so you can see the tape. Its made for te extensions as you can see it slides in a groove has a hold down ar the other end. Once it it adjusted it will be very accurate
IMG_4617.jpg
IMG_4617.jpg [ 83.1 KiB | Viewed 31181 times ]
File comment: view of the fence and top. Im going to raise the sustainers behind the fence to make them easier to access thats coming
IMG_4616.jpg
IMG_4616.jpg [ 372.34 KiB | Viewed 31181 times ]
File comment: Clamps screwed to 2 x 4s mostly hidden behind plywood but it will give ya a idea
IMG_4613.jpg
IMG_4613.jpg [ 170.85 KiB | Viewed 31181 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:26 pm 
Veteran

Clipper wrote:
innovative way to deal with the various sanding disks.

Keep going I am collecting ideas.

Duan

Thanks Duane, Im just winging this set up as I go. Hopefully it will be set up to make my work flow efficient otherwise Ill be moving things around which i dont want to do.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:40 am 
Veteran

todays exciting update, building some more drawers for the other side of the miter saw station. Also the roll up door for the shop that was back ordered for 5-6 weeks has been picked up by the door installer and is supposed to be installed this morning. That roll up door will free up a lot of over head space.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:42 pm 
Veteran

In todays exciting episode
I finished the drawers installing tomorrow.

Finally the unicorn knowns as my back ordered insulated roll up door and was installed today still got to color match. No motor or gear chain needed its small enough I can easily raise and lower it. Maybe in the future Ill put a motor drive on it. Already wired for it

Attachments:
File comment: photo of shop with insulated roll up door
IMG_4619.jpg
IMG_4619.jpg [ 452.37 KiB | Viewed 31165 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:50 pm 
Veteran

Finished the last of the drawers for the miter station though it isnt done it is functional .

You can tell I need doors shelves etc theyre coming.

I have a decsion to make, I have a sheet of ply left and Im thinking whether to make shelves and doors out of it, or build a pocket hole station for my kreg jig.

Decisions ...Decisions.... Heres what the basic config of the miter station looks like.

Whatever I decide to do when I finish it,

I need a break from building cabinets.

Maybe Ill finish a side board/ bar I started before I had my ankle surgery and or run the wiring....

Attachments:
IMG_4622.jpg
IMG_4622.jpg [ 303.68 KiB | Viewed 31161 times ]
IMG_4621.jpg
IMG_4621.jpg [ 369.71 KiB | Viewed 31161 times ]
IMG_4620.jpg
IMG_4620.jpg [ 349.85 KiB | Viewed 31161 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:49 am 
Veteran

Finished the last of the drawers for the miter station though it isnt done it is functional .

You can tell I need doors shelves etc theyre coming.

I have a decsion to make, I have a sheet of ply left and Im thinking whether to make shelves and doors out of it, or build a pocket hole station for my kreg jig.

Decisions ...Decisions.... Heres what the basic config of the miter station looks like.

Whatever I decide to do when I finish it,

I need a break from building cabinets.

Maybe Ill finish a side board/ bar I started before I had my ankle surgery and or run the wiring....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:54 am 
Veteran

So I thought about it and decided to build a cabinent to put my finishing equipment, finishes, crayons and furniture repair stuff etc.

That will mean....

More Drawers [scared]

But it seems to be the next build in the progression of setting the shop up. Should keep me busy till pay day when I can buy more stuff and continue the set up.

In the meantime Ill build this cabinet for finishing equipment move the stuff out of the garage and into the shop and if theres time before pay day, Ill start organizeing the stuff in te drawers.

Going to make a something for the Kreg jig that I can store on the wall remove and use and replace. Got a idea how Im going to do it. So ill be making a prototype soon

well gonna get something to eat then off to the shop. Its raining here we need it badly. Hopefully everything will turn green again. Everything has been brown since that brutal summer we had here

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:54 am 
Veteran

Havent done much the last fewsdays. I built a cabinent for my finishes. I think Its a bit to small. I ran out of dominos because of all the drawers Ive been making so I was unable to make drawers for the finish storage. I got one shelf in it. However my buddys Don and Allan at Anderson ply was able to ship someout to me quickly.

So I started setting outlet boxes bought some 10 ga 220 v cable and some 12 ga romex and i had some 14 ga romex. A friend of mine stopped by and we hung the boxes and ran the 14 ga cable for the ceiling fans that will be installed at a later date. The Home toy had some new (to me) type of boxes for ceiling fans. Kinda cool they mount to the trusses and has nails in it to attach to the fans box. Ill see if I can find a photo of them. Today I also figured out where im gonna put my split ac unit when I get one so I ran the 10 ga 220v cable out to the box. None of these have been hooked up to breakers yet. tomomorrow Im going to run the cable for the last of the outlets. T
They will be on their own circuit.
I didnt take photos but will tomorrow Ill be starting late in the shop .

My daughter and I are going to the range and take a gun class.
She just bought one and I want her trained.

Heres the fan box I used. Pretty slick huh?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghous ... 49574-_-N&

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:46 am 
Veteran

heres whats been happening some a repeat of my last post

after going to the range with my daughter then next day go grocery shopping w the wife (we buy groceries once a month ). We were way short havent bought any since Xmas so we hit Costco and our normal grocery store, loaded that truck of mine up Its pretty much a most of the day event as we sort of live in the sticks and its a haul (30 mins min) ea way to the store. So now It seems Im can get back in the shop

Ill start with this up date,

I ran the romex cables to the boxes, got one more home run cable to run acts as a junction box to connect all the new boxes to one i can run to the sub panel. Then see how many 20 amp outlets I have left on hand and off to HD buy more outlets and face plates if and a couple of 20 amp breakers.

Will add some photos of the outlets added a few more so I wont be needing more after insulating.

Thats about it more to follow....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:24 pm 
Veteran

well got all the wiring in outlets made up and breaker and wireing hooked up to breaker in the sub panel. I added a additional 8 outlest on their own 20 amp circuit. I made sure I used outlets that were rated to 20 amps. I also routed the 220v and 14 ga wiring in the sub panel to be hooked up when I get the ceiling fans and need the 220V the outlets without the face plates are the new ones. Its like a new one every 4 feet

Attachments:
IMG_4639.jpg
IMG_4639.jpg [ 379.68 KiB | Viewed 31084 times ]
IMG_4638.jpg
IMG_4638.jpg [ 377.34 KiB | Viewed 31084 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:10 pm 
Veteran

Hey Ron,

Looking great, don't keep us in suspense. Your post are looked at and enjoyed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:10 am 
Veteran

Havent forgotten this thread so Ill give a update on whats been going on...

I got the electric ran got 110v outlets every 4' got wiring ran and boxes put in for the ceiling fans and the 220v ran to where Im gonna eventually put the split unit.

Been busy making more drawers for a cabinet I made to store my stains and finishes going to build another one for the HVLP and a graco airless I want to get.

Also got the ply to make some permenant storage for my systainers and take that spur shelving down.
Once its down and the sustainers have another home Im going to move my miter saw and MFTS to make a combo miter station and vacuum clamp station.

I figured out a way to make my festool cutting table a assy table. Ill be showing that once I get it set up.

The last week I flew to Seattle to help a friend whose bought a house here and is moving here pt time (snow bird) drive here. Took us 3 days to make the trip we didnt take breaks other than to eat get gas and sleep. So nothing going on there. had a bit of a adventure it was fun.

But as things progress Ill be posting more.

I think people are getting bored with the "I made drawers for" post w photos.

So lots getting done but a lot more to do.

Im at the point now where I can think about insulation.

But nothing really interesting thats worth posting being done at the moment.

Wont be long until there is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:28 pm 
Veteran

I am anxious about insulating. Looks like you are heading
into trouble by covering up so much wall before insulating and wall board.

Where you are you will appreciate the insulation in mid summer.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:03 pm 
Veteran

Hey Clipper, good to hear from you. Everything Ive built hasnt been installed yet well most of it. A few things are screwed to the wall. But mostly everything sort of just sitting there easy to move and when time to insulate comes can just slide it away from the wall. Other than the DC and spur shelving. I did that for a couple of reasons, I wanted to build cabinets and set up to see where the best place for the outlet to be installed. That way I can still use the shop until Im ready to get the insulation etc installed.

So there is a method to my madness

Now a quick up date:

Though not actually shop set up related I thought this would be interesting to some if I posted

I guess Im a little slow as Ive had these for a while. I was cutting drawer stock yesterday and thought if the MFT extension would work as a outfeed for my CMS. I have the TS 75 saw module for it.

It isn't sold in North America for some reason and has been discontinued. I bought when I lived in the UK.

It fit and worked perfect.

Attachments:
IMG_4670.jpg
IMG_4670.jpg [ 202.56 KiB | Viewed 31023 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:51 am 
Veteran

Im rearranging my shop again. Moving my 2 of my MFTs to the side along with the Kapex turning that into a comb, vacuum /miter saw/work station. Will build some under MFT cabinets to store my most used tools with the vacuum clamps and have the MFTs butted up aginst the spur shelving to make other tools available.

Opens up the center of the shop will only have One Mft I use for cross cutting my CMS/ Table saw and my cutting table which Ill make a top for to use as a assy table when needed and fold it up out of the way when not

The spot where the Kapex was Ill replace with a cabinet to mount my Kreg jig.

Ill see how this works.

Its still in work

Photos to come.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:05 pm 
Veteran

Oh forget to mention everything on top of the MFTs are easily removable.

Notice the vac clamps are in their stored position under the MFTs

The old style Kapex extensions are held on with on knob on the crown stops.

I used that black doohickey that is used to hold the rear of the fence of the MFT to hold the other end very quick to remove if needed

So along with being able to fold the vac clamps under the MFT means the MFTs are very useable if needed

Attachments:
IMG_4686.jpg
IMG_4686.jpg [ 329.01 KiB | Viewed 30944 times ]
IMG_4685.jpg
IMG_4685.jpg [ 298.16 KiB | Viewed 30944 times ]
IMG_4682.jpg
IMG_4682.jpg [ 298.55 KiB | Viewed 30944 times ]

Last edited by RonTeti on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:54 pm 
Veteran

Used the miter station today, stored the vac clamps heres what it looks like with the vac clamps stored. Decided I got to do something about that spur shelving and sustainers. Ill come up with something

Attachments:
IMG_4695.jpg
IMG_4695.jpg [ 418.02 KiB | Viewed 30738 times ]
IMG_4693.jpg
IMG_4693.jpg [ 370.59 KiB | Viewed 30738 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:29 pm 
Veteran

Well worked some more on the miter/vac clamp station. I added some small cabinets under the MFTs to hld the systainers with the tools I use w the vac clamps, my edge bander, domino/dominos, my LR 32 and router for it.

So everything is right there. The vac clamps just fold under the MFTs when stored gives me the ability to use them as a work bench. Im building some shelving now that will fit next to the MFTs to store more sustainers hopefully Ill be able to remove the spur shelving and be able to finish this side board I started and start w organizing the garage

Attachments:
IMG_4704.jpg
IMG_4704.jpg [ 297.88 KiB | Viewed 30714 times ]
IMG_4703.jpg
IMG_4703.jpg [ 330.94 KiB | Viewed 30714 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:06 pm 
Veteran

well Nothing fancy or special but I made a book case to hold some of my Systainers the tools I use most w my vac clamps. Remember Nothing is installed and won't be until after the shop is insulated. I also added some drawers on another cabinet. Now i get to organize the drawers I made.

Heres a tip get a label maker and label / list the stuff in the drawers will save a lot of frustration.

Heres some photos of what i did shops still a mess to BTW

Attachments:
IMG_4724.jpg
IMG_4724.jpg [ 432.71 KiB | Viewed 30692 times ]
IMG_4725.jpg
IMG_4725.jpg [ 311.13 KiB | Viewed 30692 times ]
IMG_4726.jpg
IMG_4726.jpg [ 271.73 KiB | Viewed 30692 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next