WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:23 pm 
Veteran

Sorry another double post

Attachments:
File comment: I just finished the one half of the assy table . gives a idea of how it will look when completed. I sure hope this works and isnt another bone headed idea that i came up with :>D I guess Ill see huh.
IMG_4730.jpg
IMG_4730.jpg [ 283.42 KiB | Viewed 48006 times ]
File comment: This is a photo just starting out making the holes. It gives ya a idea of what the woodpeckers jig is and how to use it
IMG_4729.jpg
IMG_4729.jpg [ 212.13 KiB | Viewed 48006 times ]

Last edited by RonTeti on Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:28 pm 
Veteran

Still a work in progress. I started making a top for my STM it will become my assembly table.

I decided on using ultra lightweight 3/4 MDF.

Not only is it cheaper its a better material to abuse and it weighs about the same as 3/4 ply.

I ripped it down the middle at 24' and shortened the length to 7' to fit the STM better. Im using 4 braces to hold the top to the sam 2 per side.

Im using the woodpeckers jig to make the 20mm holes. Not stressing whether theyre perfectly aligned as its just for clamping using dogs to help with assy.

I dont do any hard pounding either. his should help with glue ups to. If I cut anything ill remove the top and use the STM (after all thats what is for) and I use the GRS for cutting anyway

Heres a photo of one side (its all I finished today) I cut the sheet into 2 pieces 24" wide, IMO will make it more versitle and easier to handle

I may not need a full 48" wide area for assy and glue up.

I might go tomorrow to visit tombstone OK corral, w my daughter.

So this may take a few days to post the final photos of it.

Sorry in advance if this turns out to be another double post.

I click the buttons to fast , so I dnt know if the post is loaded or not, Im impatient I guess

Attachments:
File comment: Heres what the woodpeckers jig looks like and gives ya a idea of how it works. Still got the other side and the brackets to be added
IMG_4729.jpg
IMG_4729.jpg [ 212.13 KiB | Viewed 48006 times ]
File comment: photo of one half with the dog holes completed. Hope this works and isnt another one of my bone headed ideas
IMG_4730.jpg
IMG_4730.jpg [ 283.42 KiB | Viewed 48006 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:19 pm 
Veteran

I continued on making the top that will sit on my STM and become my assembly table.

The MDF is very very light especially cut in 24" widths I think all the material removed from the 20mm holes I added helped reduce weight.

Im thinking of putting some dominos in where the 2 edges come together for alignment purposes. I also have some ideas to make the rackets usable as they wouldnt work for some reason.

But heres the photos of the top sitting on the STM which will become my assembly table.

I routed the other half setting it on a soon to be work bench which was formerly the top of my miter saw station.
It seemed to work much better and had a better result.

I also used the the things on the STM used for setting plywood on to load it on the STM as stops for alignment helps a lot

Here is the STM config I used when setting the top on it

Attachments:
File comment: In case yer wondering this is the STM 1800 cutting table that I made to the top for turning it into a assembly table as well this is the config Im using for the top
IMG_4737.jpg
IMG_4737.jpg [ 340.01 KiB | Viewed 47998 times ]
File comment: the 2 things I use as stops which help align the top
IMG_4735.jpg
IMG_4735.jpg [ 140 KiB | Viewed 47998 times ]
File comment: Both sides set on STM to make the assemble table top
IMG_4732.jpg
IMG_4732.jpg [ 304.79 KiB | Viewed 47998 times ]
File comment: other half set on work bench being routed
IMG_4731.jpg
IMG_4731.jpg [ 164.32 KiB | Viewed 47998 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:45 pm 
Veteran

Looking great!

How was Tombstone? We were there in October'20 when we visited our daughter in Sierra Vista. WE were a little let down but really enjoyed Bisbee after that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:10 pm 
Veteran

Unfortunately we did get to go. Woke up in the morning and saw my daughter had a flat tire on her car. So soent the day taking care of that.

Still wanna go there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:39 pm 
Veteran

Ok so I think I solved my problem connecting the assy top to the STM. I ended up using 4 brackets/clips/terminal one on each end of the STM.

I used 2" thick pine I had left over cut to 70mm which is the size of the large wooden piece on the ends of the STM.

I took a festool rabbiting bot that I bought back from the UK and didnt mount my 2200 in my CMS and routed a rabbit to fit the bracket/clip/terminal. Photo of the rabbiting bit its the only bit that FT has that mounts to a arbor (sold seperately of course)

so I posted photos of the rabbited wood and the wood in the brackets. Now to secure the top to the bracket/wood.

Im thinking I might add a couple screws from the top and adjust the top so I can use a through domino from the 700. that should hold it securely

Mike Goetzke (from another forum) suggested that I use connectors to keep the sides together, thats a great Idea. Im gonna use it when I get my hand on some connectors or get the kit.

Attachments:
File comment: attached to the brackets that will be clipped on the STM attaching te top
IMG_4744.jpg
IMG_4744.jpg [ 155.36 KiB | Viewed 47981 times ]
File comment: Rabbited wood to attach to the brackets
IMG_4743.jpg
IMG_4743.jpg [ 233.27 KiB | Viewed 47981 times ]
File comment: Festool rbbiting bit, to bad ya cant get them in the US
IMG_4742.jpg
IMG_4742.jpg [ 198.73 KiB | Viewed 47981 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:44 am 
Veteran

RonTeti wrote:
Unfortunately we did get to go. Woke up in the morning and saw my daughter had a flat tire on her car. So soent the day taking care of that.

Still wanna go there.

Definitely got to go, plan for Bisbee on the same day. I hear the mine tour is really cool, I unfortunately was unable to get a ticket.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:21 pm 
Veteran

yea we got to get out there. I need a brea from woring on tis shop. I havent really done anything since it started.

I did use 3 ea 8 x 50 dominos to od te top to the brackets and a screw to for good measure.

Now Im taking bids for insulation. Im expect 2 bids any day now

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:40 am 
Veteran

Well havnt heard back from the insulation contractors.

Well I did from one. It was a pretty good price for full fill spray insulation.

It was under MY budget ( the most I was willing to pay)

Plus he will be out in 2 weeks , give me time to move out or move and cover the stuff in the shop and move back then I can permanently install everything and adjust and align stuff and make some wall cabinets and other storage but also means i can get to finishing some projects I started before I concentrated setting the shop up.

Oh from what I understand Spray foam is better than bat.

Im not going to do the joist, Im keeping them open for easy accessable storage and they are going to spray rafters.

anyway thats the plan..... photos to follow once they finish insulating it'll be a few weeks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:16 pm 
Veteran

Spray foam is great!!m Your shop is going to be a "Yeti".
Zulu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:13 pm 
Veteran

Thanks Zulu looking forward to be comfortable in the shop this summer. Hopefully we wont be setting heat records like last year

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:31 am 
Veteran

The insulation contractor will be out sooner then I expected.

He will be out thursday.

Ill just take everything out of the shop set it outside and cover it (well most of it anyways).

Its a one day job so Friday Ill be able to start setting the shop up permentantly.

Since I took my time figuring out where everything will go and running the electrical to match.

Ill look fwd to setting it up spraying the cabinets and getting to work.

I got a lot of projects on tap to do. finish that side board I started in Oct is the first.

Ill contine with this thread as Im still going to finalize the set up of the shop (lots more to do such as as wall covering and Wall cabinets, etc.)

Also will include organizeing that disaster area called a garage. got some fun ideas for that one . :)

Never ending journey.

Say what ya'll think, Should I start a separate thread for the garage organization?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:57 pm 
Veteran

Glad to see you are insulating will be a lifesaver where you are,

Don't know about a separate thread this one is getting kinda long.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:52 pm 
Veteran

Since insulators coming Thursday So i thought Id move the stuff out. Since I had help today I thought get her done. Im leaving the stuff outside by the shop Its pretty secure as Im in the middle of no where and my property is surround by a 6' block wall fence.

The insulators will be in and out same day.

Someone mentioned that I should do away with the systainers and leave the tools out. At first I thought Nah.

But last night or early this morning I thought that is a pretty good idea. Maybe not for all my tools but the ones I use frequently and dont have alot of small accessories stored in the sustainers. So Im going to do that when things start going back in on Friday.

Now ya can understand why I built cabinets and set the shop up before insulation. Everything will be in place and set up for installation when I move back in.

There was a method to my madness

Attachments:
File comment: Finally everything out of the shop. Some stuff in the garage but not much
IMG_4760.jpg
IMG_4760.jpg [ 259.05 KiB | Viewed 47929 times ]
File comment: what Im leaving and covering in the shop plus a photo of my other elusive camera shy daughter who was helping me today
IMG_4756.jpg
IMG_4756.jpg [ 229.92 KiB | Viewed 47929 times ]
File comment: My partner in crime helping me today
IMG_4757.jpg
IMG_4757.jpg [ 195.41 KiB | Viewed 47929 times ]
File comment: my baby taking a break
IMG_4758.jpg
IMG_4758.jpg [ 235.61 KiB | Viewed 47929 times ]
File comment: my 2 baby girls helping me today
IMG_4759.jpg
IMG_4759.jpg [ 123.48 KiB | Viewed 47929 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:13 pm 
Veteran

well the insulators came and went knocked out the shop in about 4 hours heres some photos bare in mind that the photos were taken before they finished. But it will give ya a idea how it came out. They said i should wait 24-48 hours before I put the stuff back in the shop. Ill keep the roll up door open and the windows and it should be good to go by tomorrow

coming along, not sure what to put on the walls. Im thinking maybe a combo of T1-11 and dry wall or some paneling..... Ill have to think about it think about how it would look and price it out

Attachments:
File comment: rafters partially sprayed they sprayed everything
IMG_4772.jpg
IMG_4772.jpg [ 337.39 KiB | Viewed 47901 times ]
File comment: walls sprayed
IMG_4770.jpg
IMG_4770.jpg [ 156.3 KiB | Viewed 47901 times ]
File comment: used plastic to seal everything up there is over spray with this process
IMG_4768.jpg
IMG_4768.jpg [ 204.26 KiB | Viewed 47901 times ]
File comment: they pulled truck up right to the door and started setting up
IMG_4766.jpg
IMG_4766.jpg [ 173.82 KiB | Viewed 47901 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:59 pm 
Veteran

Maybe some Slatwall or similar but whatever
you do paint it white will make a major difference.

Looks good.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:45 pm 
Veteran

Clipper

what is slat wall ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:17 pm 
Veteran

hmmm

I thought I posted this yesterday

So I decided to put the third MFT against the wall as I wasnt using it for cross cutting anymore. I use the TSO products GRS and parallel guides which do a very good job and my STM/assy table.

So I have a free standing CMS with a saw module as I showed before. So I thought why not put the saw and the CMS router table together. I did and it saves me a lot of room. Im looking and at using T-111 for my wall covering instead of dry wall. More expensive but its structural I can screw things right to it.
heres the photos of the saw/milling station

The hole in the table is were the router module sets

Attachments:
IMG_4776.jpg
IMG_4776.jpg [ 411.81 KiB | Viewed 47886 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:58 pm 
Veteran

RonTeti wrote:
Clipper

what is Slatwall ?

A special wall system that takes accessories to hang/store items.
google "slatwall"

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:40 pm 
Veteran

Ya Clipper I figured that out after a while. Im a little slow doncha know :-D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next