WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:44 pm 
Veteran

So now with the shop pretty much together I start with the organization/ stowing things away. So I used the Fast Cap rail hangers to hang my 3000 and 1900 rails on the wall horizontally. I made some things to hang all my other rails on the walls vertically, basically 3 1400 rails (2 are holy rails) 2 1080 rails, 1 800 rail and I make a couple small rails from damaged ones a roughly 400 and 300. so heres some photos of those.
I used the spur shelving to hold the modules for my CMS. I have 3 modules the jig saw, router and TS 75. Right now I only have the jig saw module hung in it, but soon Ill make some plywood inserts to use the CMS tables with my bench top tools., I also got my pocket hole station about done.

One of the spur hangers i used to store my hoses and misc plug it cables and my extension cord (If I can Find it)

Im going to be making a clamp rack soon using the LR 32 system/ holy rail to drill holes and the jig saw to cut the slots to hang the clamps.

Excuse the mess in the photos thats what im trying to sort right now

Attachments:
File comment: finally my pocket hole/Kreg jig station
IMG_4783.jpg
IMG_4783.jpg [ 412.97 KiB | Viewed 26242 times ]
File comment: Spur sheving used to store my CMS modules only one hanging right now thats the jig saw module the one next to it has my vac hoses cables etc
IMG_4782.jpg
IMG_4782.jpg [ 269.5 KiB | Viewed 26242 times ]
File comment: Rail hanger jig
IMG_4781.jpg
IMG_4781.jpg [ 245.95 KiB | Viewed 26242 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:38 am 
Veteran

Started building a clamp rack.

I used the LR 32 system to space holes for the clamp rack drill the 1/2 dia holes with my router using the index holes on the LR 32 rails about every 96 mm and my CMS w my Jig saw module to cut the slots for the clamps o photo of the slots .

Couldnt finish had to take the boss (wife) to lunch.

Attachments:
File comment: Heres a photo of the jig saw insert for my CMS. They dont make the CMS anymore so all this is unavailable as you can tell I added my router CMS to my saws dont know if you can see the small outfeed table that came with it .
IMG_4784.jpg
IMG_4784.jpg [ 128.53 KiB | Viewed 26231 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:09 pm 
Veteran

Am a little troubled that the foam insulation is not covered up. Thinking that over time
it will get chipped and otherwise worn away reducing its efficiency.
Maybe you got other things that will cover it up.
Anyway looking good.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:24 pm 
Veteran

Oh Im going to cover it up. Just not yet and not all at once...

found some stuff at blowes thats not to expensive and will meet my needs, I got to check it out more then make a decision

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:21 am 
Veteran

been taking a bit of a break will go back in the shop today.

Nothing exciting.

Might make some cubbies. If I do ill post photos later on tonight.

Just didnt want yas to think I forgot about yas cuz I havent been to active.

Oh FYI my sons coming home on predeployment leave from the USMC.

He'll be here next Friday.

So ill be spending time with him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:58 pm 
Veteran

Didn't make any cubbies,

I built a CMS insert for my bench top belt/disk sander combo. Its a little one but I use the heck out of it. I also set a cabinet near the out feed side of my CMS VL which I use primarily as a router table. this cabinent holds my router bits and stuff for the router table different collets spacers, wrench etc etc... also decided to drill some holes in the top t hold a screw driver , the took I use to turn the screws to tighten a module in place....
Like I said nothing special...

I moved a MFT to the back wall cuz I felt I needed a work table there

I think Im gonna dry wall the walls, dont know when as its starting to get hot now..its in the mid 90s and climbing...

Maybe in the fall when It cools down.

Attachments:
File comment: Under the CMS cabinet
IMG_4795.jpg
IMG_4795.jpg [ 224.06 KiB | Viewed 26182 times ]
File comment: Photo of where I store my CMS modules and the one I made out of scrap MDF
IMG_4794.jpg
IMG_4794.jpg [ 266.46 KiB | Viewed 26182 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:43 pm 
Veteran

Got a bid today on dry walling my shop.... Ouccchhhh, got another coming next week and got a couple of referrals to some other contractors from the same guy who referred the insulator to me.

Well see how that goes. Worse comes to worse, Ill use some paneling or even T111. I can install that myself and no mudding or taping

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:21 am 
Veteran

Heck with it I went with the T-111. Used 3/8" thick 4x8 sheets to make it easier for a geezer like me to set. .

It came out ok not great but OK once I dress it up itll look fine. You know add moulding, stain or paint it.

Made a stand to set the siding on to keep it the same level.

Used a level to make sure it was. Still got a piece to cut thats less than 48" w Ill come back to it My son will help me with the heavy stuff next week. Hes home on leave.

Wasnt to bad doing this alone moving stuff around for access to the wall.

Attachments:
File comment: Siding. on the wall....You can see the stand helped the top is level.
IMG_4800.jpg
IMG_4800.jpg [ 254.24 KiB | Viewed 26117 times ]
File comment: Shop made stand
IMG_4799.jpg
IMG_4799.jpg [ 165.61 KiB | Viewed 26117 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:51 am 
Veteran

Son came home on leave (USMC) and gave me a hand putting up the T111 almost got all of it done. Son returned to base Friday.

Another (taller) freind came over yesterday to give me a hand at screwing the siding in at the top which i couldnt reach even with a 10' ladder. No photos yet guys. Im a few pieces short of finishing the t 111. I got to go buy maybe 3 more sheets. I got enough to piece in some of the gaps in the lower section of the wall. I prolly will take photos today.

It does sort of look DIY to me. But to pay someone to dry wall It had a $3078.00 price tag. SI can live with a DIY
looking install. Plus once I hang everything on the walls and dress it up a bit I wont notice my mess ups. But getting close to being a shop.

Lessons learned which were a lot so far:

Big difference from building from the ground up (literally) I set up a number of shops both in the USA and in Europe (UK) They were basically garage shop and I set up and added some things.. This is a stand alone new build shop from getting a architect to draw plans to finishing it the inside yer self.

Remember i did the set up other than the insulation on my own.

Cost more to build the shop than I anticipated.

Needed a lot more work/ money to set this up that I anticipated and didnt think it through w all the things which I didnt think about , you know the didnt know what I didnt know.

Working alone takes a lot more time the I anticipated.

Building a shop form scratch maybe a lot of peoples dream, but it takes time a lot of time and work.

The time invested seems like it will be fun as you are well building your shop right?

But it turns into a job. To get it done its a everyday effort, like going to work which takes the thrill out of it after a while.

You will make mistakes putting it together , you will compromise things may not look as nice as you pictured in you mind.

But with time and tweaking it will turn out to be a very nice shop.

But time is the key.

It drags on and gets to the point ya just want to get it done and over with and start building projects.

Once you keep that in mind that you can tweak and correct over time it does make you feel better.

I will feel like a big accomplishment once you finish. I know Ill feel that way once Im finally done.

Oh chances are it wont look like these guys shops on You Tube who have hugh following at first which sort of look like a showroom or display and get stuff /tool donated to them.

Im sure it will over time. Thats where the tweaking comes in and once yous tart enjoying the shop building things you can take yer time and make it like the shop of your dreams.

I moved into my house about a year ago. Moved in early April.

So Ive been tied up with tis starting with finding a contractors and architect about a year ago.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:26 pm 
Veteran

well as promised,
here the photos of the shop

with the siding up, well most of it.

Still got to patch in a few pieces here and there. Hide my oooppssies and Oh shucks

But its pretty much complete..

Now put the stuff back where it should be and straighten and tidy it up when I finish it. Take a break from the grind and go back after a bit.

im going to do a couple of projects finish one just to break up the grind

Attachments:
IMG_4811.jpg
IMG_4811.jpg [ 228.45 KiB | Viewed 26084 times ]
IMG_4810.jpg
IMG_4810.jpg [ 112.51 KiB | Viewed 26084 times ]
IMG_4809.jpg
IMG_4809.jpg [ 321.24 KiB | Viewed 26084 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:32 pm 
Veteran

looking good.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:21 pm 
Veteran

Thanks Duan.

Still more to do I bought the last 2 sheets of T111 to finish the siding today. Now comes the fun stuff. some box extensions for the outlets the T111 is thick so I need it extend the outlets....wall mount for paper towels, storage/dispenser for edge banding , some peg board to hang stuff , squares straight edges etc...and a few more things coming.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:36 pm 
Veteran

By the way, are you going to leave the ceiling open?
May make for better ventilation and in your area it may help/
My ceiling is open but I do not have the ceiling insulation you do.

Just a thoughtl

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:26 pm 
Veteran

Hey Ron,

It's starting to look like a real shop!

On suggestion, before you get too far along with shelving etc., you might want to consider installing a french cleat system. I have four levels of french cleats all around my shop and it makes installing and/or moving things on the walls much easier.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:31 pm 
Veteran

Duan, Yea Im leaving the ceiling open mainly for storage etc.

Tom Ive thought about using a french cleat system, just dont know if its right for me right now. Perhaps later once the shop gets up and running.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:05 pm 
Veteran

Hey Ron,

It's much easier to do it now before the walls are already covered with stuff. It's a simple thing to do with some 3/4" plywood and a table saw.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:27 pm 
Veteran

tms wrote:
Hey Ron,

It's much easier to do it now before the walls are already covered with stuff. It's a simple thing to do with some 3/4" plywood and a table saw.

Cheers,
Tom

3/4" plywood is close to $100 a sheet here.
OSB is $43 a sheet.
That's insane!
Zulu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:14 pm 
Veteran

Hey Zulu,

Ouch!
That is steep. Around here, a 4x8 sheet of AB marine ply is about $75. One sheet should yield about 92 lineal feet of paired cleat.
It's a very flexible and convenient system for hanging anything on the walls. In Europe, nearly every kitchen uses the system and when you purchase a flat, you bring your cabinets with you to hang on the common system. When you leave, you take them with you.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:28 am 
Veteran

I was able to find the 3/8 thick T111 for $32 for a 4x8 sheet. when I was pricing I I called around and found 5/8 thick for $26 a sheet then called back 3 days later and went it up to $33 a sheet. I didnt buy the T111 until about 2 weeks after that. That place didnt have 3/8 thick.

I went with 3/8 because Im one man 5/8 would of been heavy for a geezer like me. The 3/8 made it alot more manageable to hang

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:53 am 
Veteran

Sorry ya'll for not posting much lately.

Ive sort of taken a break doing a few other things then building stuff for the shop.

Breaking up the monotony by spending time going to the range get some shooting in just sort taking a break but not (if that makes sense)

I still havent done much.

But what I did do was make some cabinet doors. There are only 3 cabinets right now that I need to build doors for.

So because of the width I made 2 doors per a cabinet.

I made them simple using up some of the scrap I have left over from the build. Plywood rales and styles and a 6mm/ 1/4 center panel.

Didnt get to fancy just pocket hole together.

The for the center panel I routed a rabbit aound the back side of the door to set the panel in used sylicone to secure the panel .

A simple trick I picked up from Gary Katz (one of his videos) was rather than chiseling/ squareing up the corners of the door to fit the panel, cut the cornors off the panel at a diagonal (no particular angle) thats a quick and dirty way to set the panel in the door.

Im gonna be setting up the office part soon enough. Its getting hot out here in Az.

Been 97 this week with a spike up to 99 today.

Still not to bad for Az.

So much like last year Ill still be chugging along just a little slower. Looks like got the shop insulated and paneled it right on time

Heres a photo of the back side of the door. Nothing special or fancy just showing you how I fit the panel.

Attachments:
File comment: back side of the door
IMG_4818.jpg
IMG_4818.jpg [ 84.73 KiB | Viewed 25806 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next