WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sail Boat restoration.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:55 pm 
Veteran

I recently found a series about a fellow who acquired a sail boat called "TALLY HO" and he is rebuilding the boat from the ground up. He replaced the keel that was pretty well rotten with two pieces of PURPLE HEART that he joined together with a scarf joint, really fascinating to watch. the boards where 12" X 16" and when joined together where somewhere around 40 feet long. I have been binge watching this series because it is just so amazing to me to see what the fellow is doing. He acquired the boat for about $1 and had to move it of course. He came from England to do this. A friend offered him the use of their backyard and a large well equipped woodshop. This is happening in Sequim, Washington, not too awful far from our own TMS who may know about this fellow, perhaps???. Anyway I could go on for a while about it but it would be easier for anyone who might find it interesting to click on the link below, I think it will take you there, If not search for Samson boat Co. on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-_lY ... Say7nmphUA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:28 pm 
Veteran

Hey Paul,

I hadn't heard of the restoration, but it is close by. Sequim is just around the corner from the wooden boat capitol of the west coast, Port Townsend. PT is the home of the Northwest School of Wooden Boat Building who built my last boat. Incidentally, it also had purple heart in the keel, as well as Douglas fir, and apitong.

I sped through on of the videos and I think that I recognized Robert Darcy, the skipper and chief restorer of the Schooner Martha, based in Port Townsend. If so, then the Tally Ho is in good company.

Cheers,
Tom